Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The American Civil war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The American Civil war
    Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 23:55
I could not find the old thread about the American Civil War, but I ask again what was the cause of the Civil War in the United States in 1860.

I generally do not enjoy American history as much as I enjoy ancient or Medieval European history, but I took a class on the cause of the American Civil War. I will have to dig up my research paper but it seems scholars still fight over it and there is a lot of revision history that has been written recently about this topic.

In all the research I have done for the course I concluded, along with others, that slavery had a major influence on the war but overall it was about state rights and self determination but it has been three years since I took the course.

Who had ancestors in America then? Did they fight in the war?
My ancestors from my father's side were here but I am not sure of their role, many of them were out west around that time.

What if the south had won? What would our world be like today?
I am glad they lost though!!
Is there still resentment in the south over the loss of the war?

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
TinTin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote TinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 00:14
You are an American arn't you? Hmm it sounds like an Asian goes to Canada looking for oriential spices. I meant no offend. Good Luck to you.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 00:37
IMHO, American history is exciting till just after the civil war...reconstruction on is...bleh.

Hehehe

I have a special thing for the south though. 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 09:10
I can only recall my "American History" classes so long ago, but it seems that since its foundation there was an internal conflict between abolitionist northern states and slavist southern states, between two economical focuses: industrial capitalism and "colonial plantationism". This issue reflected in all the processes of the USA, from power balance (trying to keep both types of states balanced or to break the balance in favor of either was a major issue in the early US and its expansion to the West) to political structure (more federal, more confederal).

Eventually slavism was untenable, both economically and socio-politically. Also the duality of the nation threatened its national union. When the southern states dared to separate, war was unavoidable and the South had no chances, being economically and politically much weaker than the North.

What would have happened had the South triumphed? As I say, that was near impossible but, anyhow, it would have caused a balcanization in the USA as a whole. Geographically, the remaining Union would have been clearly divided in badly connected regions: the NE and the Pacific coast. Particularly California would have surely ended in a separate state, while the status of Oregon Territory (NW) was also uncertain.

This was, according to Wikipedia, the territory claimed by the Confederacy:

Even if they had only managed to get a stalemate, that gave each one what they held intially, renouncing to Kentucky, Missouri and West Virginia, the Confederation would have been a major geographical handicap for the USA:

It's geography would have troubled the Union a lot: first of all the most strategic mouth of the Mississippi would be in Confederate hands, second, the Union would be less geographically continuous: California, the NW and even the vast region of the Mid-West, from West Virginia to the Rocky Mountains, would be sort of separated from the "central" NE.

In the South also, extra-sized Texas could easily find itself a little out of the picture inside the Confederation and maybe sought for independence annexing New Mexico/Arizona and Oklahoma in the way.

The result could well have been, as I said above, a Balcanization of North America.

In the long run, slavery would have been abolished in the South no doubt, but we could find ourselves in the midst of the 20th century facing a Racist system in what would be left of the Confederation, with ties to a possibly more succesful Nazi Germany and other white racists regimes such as South Africa.

Of course that would have been dealt with along the 20th century somehow, because after all it's not mainly politics but economy and technology which drive history but some things may have been rather diferent. I just think of a succesful Japan able to conquer Hawaii to a much less powerful independent California, or simply a completely diferent history for the Spanish-American war and the subsequent hemispheric imperialism of the USA.

Btw, I think that some whites in the South still long for "Dixie" in a strange pseudo-romantic way, but most people feel proudly "American", even the nostalgic of the Confederation.

Just my 2 cents.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 13:34
Originally posted by Maju

I can only recall my "American History" classes so long ago, but it
seems that since its foundation there was an internal conflict between
abolitionist northern states and slavist southern states, between two
economical focuses: industrial capitalism and "colonial plantationism".
This issue reflected in all the processes of the USA, from power
balance (trying to keep both types of states balanced or to break the
balance in favor of either was a major issue in the early US and its
expansion to the West) to political structure (more federal, more
confederal).

Eventually slavism was untenable, both economically and
socio-politically. Also the duality of the nation threatened its
national union. When the southern states dared to separate, war was
unavoidable and the South had no chances, being economically and
politically much weaker than the North.

What would have happened had the South triumphed? As I say, that was
near impossible but, anyhow, it would have caused a balcanization in
the USA as a whole. Geographically, the remaining Union would have been
clearly divided in badly connected regions: the NE and the Pacific
coast. Particularly California would have surely ended in a separate
state, while the status of Oregon Territory (NW) was also uncertain.

This was, according to Wikipedia, the territory claimed by the Confederacy:

Even if they had only managed to get a stalemate, that gave each one
what they held intially, renouncing to Kentucky, Missouri and West
Virginia, the Confederation would have been a major geographical
handicap for the USA:

It's geography would have troubled the Union a lot: first of all the
most strategic mouth of the Mississippi would be in Confederate hands,
second, the Union would be less geographically continuous: California,
the NW and even the vast region of the Mid-West, from West Virginia to
the Rocky Mountains, would be sort of separated from the "central" NE.

In the South also, extra-sized Texas could easily find itself a little
out of the picture inside the Confederation and maybe sought for
independence annexing New Mexico/Arizona and Oklahoma in the way.

The result could well have been, as I said above, a Balcanization of North America.

In the long run, slavery would have been abolished in the South no
doubt, but we could find ourselves in the midst of the 20th century
facing a Racist system in what would be left of the Confederation, with
ties to a possibly more succesful Nazi Germany and other white racists
regimes such as South Africa.

Of course that would have been dealt with along the 20th century
somehow, because after all it's not mainly politics but economy and
technology which drive history but some things may have been rather
diferent. I just think of a succesful Japan able to conquer Hawaii to a
much less powerful independent California, or simply a completely
diferent history for the Spanish-American war and the subsequent
hemispheric imperialism of the USA.

Btw, I think that some whites in the South still long for "Dixie" in a
strange pseudo-romantic way, but most people feel proudly "American",
even the nostalgic of the Confederation.

Just my 2 cents.

You have some good points Maju and I was looking forward to your contribution. You are truly a jack of trades when it comes to history. I will have to review my paper when I find the disk but on the most part you are right but even Civil War scholars debate on these points. I do not like to go too deep without sources and I find little time to be on here.
I recall that slavery was dying out as an institution and the western States that the south wanted to be slave states were not economically compatible with slavery due to the type of crops and climate. While it did not cause the Civil War slavery did have an influence on the cause of the war.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 13:37
Originally posted by TinTin

You are an American arn't you? Hmm it sounds like an Asian goes to Canada looking for oriential spices. I meant no offend. Good Luck to you.

Very American but I am confused about the statement but I still laughed. By the way I like the helicopters!!
Best to you!
the sly American-
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 18:55
Well, i always liked general Lee and the soughtern cavalry. Those guys surelly knew what  the horses and sabers are for.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 14:06

Originally posted by Mosquito

Well, i always liked general Lee and the soughtern cavalry. Those guys surelly knew what  the horses and sabers are for.

I think you bring up the romance and nostalgia that Maju alluded to.  Some of the civil war "re-enactors" sometimes carry that to extremes and forget that in some respects the ACW was the first large scale war of the industrial age.  Just some info:

Almost universal use of rifled musketry that made three centuries of linear tactics obsolete.  The hitting power of gunfire was much more effective at much longer range.

Extensive use of railroads and telegraphy in communication and supply.  This made the swift movement, and reaction to movement, of troops more citical than ever. It also made large scale operations of armies over wide spread areas more feasible.

Due to the increase in size of forces engaged in some restricted geographical areas, stalemate developed leading to both horrendous casualties and trench warfare (especially at Cold Harbor, the Wilderness and Petersburg).  This was a foretaste of the much worse conditions of WWI.

The Union mobilized almost 2,000,000 soldiers.  At the end of the war, the U.S. army was about 1,100,000.  The Confederacy had far fewer, and the numbers are questionable, but it is estimated that about 700,000 served in the CSA.

Military dead were 618,000.....Two percent of the population.

As Shelby Foote commented, it was "a horrible national catastrophe.  How could such a thing have happened?  A war between the states."

Hardly conceivable now, but that war decided what kind of a nation we would be.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 14:09

One other point that came out of a class I had some years ago.

The documentation of the war is so rich partly because this was probably the first large war in history where sizeable numbers of officers and men on both sides could read and write.  That also helped in finding officers for such large armies.

Edited by pikeshot1600
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 15:53
What about the Crimean War? They were almost simultaneous and this "colonial" conflict was also one of the first modern wars. How would you compare them? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 16:55

What about the Crimean War? They were almost simultaneous and this "colonial" conflict was also one of the first modern wars. How would you compare them? 

Not knowing all that much about the Crimea, I'll venture some suppositions.  Maybe others know a lot more. 

There were more differences I think.  The armies of Britain and France were long service professional armies, rather than broad based armies of the ACW.  I confess ignorance of the Turkish army, and the Italian-Sardinian force were mostly auxilliaries.

The Russians used waterways more than the minimal railway infrastructure (and I don't think that was much at all) for communication/supply.  I can't comment on the telegraphy because I don't know how widespread it was in the east, i.e. could the allies communicate by telegraph and with their distant capital cities.  I suspect messengers and shipping were still critical.

By the mid 1850s, better manufacturing techniques and knowledge of ballistics were impacting firepower, so the effect of rifle fire was probably approaching what existed in the ACW.  A British ordnance officer (Shrapnel) made advances in shell design and rifled cannon were being produced, but not sure how much of that was in use in this war.

Since the war was recorded heavily by the new photography, perhaps that gives it also the feel of a modern war.  I imagine for the troops in the field, 1855 or 1865, it all sucked.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 19:51

What about the Crimean War? They were almost simultaneous and this
"colonial" conflict was also one of the first modern wars. How would
you compare them?

I really do not know much about the Crimean war except my great great Yia Yia (grandmother) served with Florence Nightingale as a nurse during that war. She was from Corinth, Greece. I saw an article recently that the tortoise they used as a mascot during that war died this year.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 04:27

The comparrison with the Crimean war is totally valid.  But Crimeas casualties are nothing comapred to the American Civil War.   Of course there was roughly 10 years on innovation between the two.  Pikeshot is correct to bring up the difference between proffesional armies and civilian volunteers (although one can argue if imperial Russia ever truly had a "proffesional" army). 

I as an American, who greatly wishes the south had suceeded (because we in the north would be so much better off without our gangrenous limb) I still see it as a primarily economic confronation between industrialism and agriculture.  But this was no ordinary agriculture, this was a system trying to be like the ancient Greeks, a pseudo aristo-democracy with a massive and creully treaty slave and pauper system under it to support it.  It was a system that could go nowhere and lead to nothing but a 3rd world country, thus like many foolish experiments it has a greatly inflated romantic reputation.  Had the north let the south go we in the north would have continued our development and the borders between the 1rst world and the 3rd would not be the Rio Grande, but the Mason-Dixon line.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 11:07
I was thinking that there were other wars that were even more parallel with the US Civil War, these were the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and the war of Italian unification (1859-61). In contrast with the Nordaerican war, these were rather quick campaigns but at least the Austro-Prussian war (which also saw Italy involved in Veneto), seems to be totally comparable technologically to the USA-CSA struggle.

Also, on Tobodai's comments, I agree that the CSA was heading for the Third World... but I also think that such independence would have costed dearly to the USA as a whole, causing surely further divisions, apart of the geostrategical issues already commented: mouth of Mississippi, access to the Caribbean, reduced territorial continuity. In general it would have handicapped the role of the USA as a great power and maybe even its historical continuity.

Not that such a thing would necessarily be bad for the citizens of some states or regions: I guess New England or California or others woudl well have found a confortable place in the world on their own. But modern history could have been changed substantially without a Nordamerican great power:
  • 1898: Would Spain have defeated the CSA in Cuba? Would the CSA have dared to intervene at all? Would Cuba had got to wait several decades more to achieve independence? Which would have been the history of Philippines, Guam and Puerto Rico?
  • After 1898: Who, if anyone, would have built the Panama Canal. Would Panama still be a province of Colombia? How would it all affected the Caribbean and Latin American history?
  • WWII: Would maybe the Nazis and Japan have won the war? Else, would have the USSR become the only and supreme world power wihout its North American nemesis?
  • Post WWII: Would have Israel ever existed at all? Would the UK and France been able of balancing the power of the USSR? Would this have lead to a stronger EU?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 11:46

About the Civil War:

In this war the Hungarian volunteers were good indicators. 5 thousand of them were on the side with the North and only ten on the side of the South.

Edited by Nagyfejedelem
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 01:53

Well Maju, without an massive American power would there even by Nazis and a WW2 like scenario.  Without a massive American world power I think WW1 would ahve ended as a complete stalemate for both sides, thus the 20th century would look very different. 

But size and geographic access for America arent that important.  I dont think the loss of the south would handicap America much at all, indeed the US could still have fought against Spain in an attempt to surround the CSA with client states.  The Northeast really had everything a power could want, industry, banking systems, population, a strong navy etc.  As it was cotton production was already being moved to Egypt so the only thing the south really had to offer was tobacco revenues.

I dont think in an era of steamships and a massive British empire that losing the gulf coast region would handicap US intrerests.  Perhaps instead of outright annexations American power would instead by purely a profit making financial exercise, which could have been a much better thing.

-Alexander Hamilton
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 07:31
The resnetment is very open within the deeper south. just the name of Sherman will get some people fired up. people still hang there confederate flags outside there houses, and rascisim is still abroad in the very deep parts of the south.
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 12:22

Originally posted by AlbinoAlien

The resnetment is very open within the deeper south. just the name of Sherman will get some people fired up. people still hang there confederate flags outside there houses, and rascisim is still abroad in the very deep parts of the south.

The Confederate Flag hangings sounds like my local rednecks here in Western Pennsylvania. There are Confederate flags in about 10 houses. Pretty surprising for a northern state.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 17:23
Originally posted by Tobodai

Well Maju, without an massive American power would there even by Nazis and a WW2 like scenario.  Without a massive American world power I think WW1 would ahve ended as a complete stalemate for both sides, thus the 20th century would look very different.

I am under the impression that US intervention in WWI wasn't really decissive, am I wrong? I think that Germany collapsed internally and would have been defeated anyhow.

But size and geographic access for America arent that important.  I dont think the loss of the south would handicap America much at all, indeed the US could still have fought against Spain in an attempt to surround the CSA with client states.  The Northeast really had everything a power could want, industry, banking systems, population, a strong navy etc.  As it was cotton production was already being moved to Egypt so the only thing the south really had to offer was tobacco revenues.

I dont think in an era of steamships and a massive British empire that losing the gulf coast region would handicap US intrerests.  Perhaps instead of outright annexations American power would instead by purely a profit making financial exercise, which could have been a much better thing.

I disagree: the mouth of the Mississippi is one of the most strategical assetts for the USA. Florida is not trivial either.

Also more recently, Texas specially but also other Gulf Coast states have shown that they have lots of natural resources, particularly a most strategical asset: oil. Texans could well have become an oil exporting country.

Finally, without a natural access to the Caribbean, what would be the purpose of fighting against Spain? Besides the bilateral CSA-USA tensions would have handicapped the USA pan-American and World projection.

I agree that the diferent northern parts of the States would have still been major industrial players but a reduced size would have meant that they would have been secondary players subject to third parties pressures. The British Empire would have been still important in WWII but, later, the incognites are just too many to be answered satisfactorily.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 17:39

Not at all, overall size hardly matters, if you use that logic that no European nation should have been a powerful colonizer because of theri small size.  Russia would ahve owned them all....obviously this did not happen.  The northeast of the US has everything Britain has, and thus has the capacity to build a powerful nation.  Coal, iron, farms, industry, huge cities, naval tradition and strong navy.  Urbanized poulation, public schools, high literacy rate etc.  I agree the Mississippi is important but its loss would severly harm the nation either.  Im sure both countries would ahve kept trade open throughout it anyway, since they both would benefit.

Plus the north would no longer have to subsidize the failed reconstruction of the south, or blow lots of cash on reconquering it.  Also the US merchant marine which was second most powerful in the world pre war took a huge hit from Confederate commerce raiders and fell siginificantly, impacting the financial well being of the US.

And your right, the US impact directly on WW1 was marginal at best...BUT the threat of a massive American army that would eventually enter action played a bigger role than anything (aside from Ludendorff being a moron who cant run a country) in making Germany lose.  Without the US Germany would have lost but only marginally, but with the threat of millions of mobilizing American troops Germany lost fare more than marginally and had to give up more than just their overseas empire.

-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>