Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Caesar wasent assassinated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Caesar wasent assassinated?
    Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 13:48
Hey I read Caesars Gallic Wars and it said that Caesar on the year he was assassinated was ready to go on his Parthian campain. Well I just wanted to know what anybody thinks about Caesars chances against the Parthians and if he was victories how much territory would he take for Rome. 

Edited by Rome
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 15:15
I do think that the Parthians may have beaten Caesar, but not have trounched him like they did to Crassus.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2005 at 21:32
Well I htink its very likely (much like JFK or others) assasinaion greatly inflated his reputation.  Without being assasinated Ceasar might be more on the level on the other emperors, or perhaps viewed as he rightly should be, as the scourge of the republic.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 07:47

The better chance for him he may be do what Trajan did after him reached to the Euphratese river or a failed like Antony first campaign in the worst situation.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 10:38

I recently saw a documentary that said that Caesar was suffering from epilepsy which was ever worsening. He actually might have known about the plot to assassinate him, and welcomed it, because he wanted to be remembered at the height of his capacities. So, his disease might have impeded him from a conclusive victory.  

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 13:45
Caesar the scourge of the Republic! man your crazy.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 14:16
I find that Ceasar's dictatorship is often misunderstood. What he believed was that Rome needed to be ruled by a single man so that it could move quickly and effectively. However, he also believed that this single man had to be just and wise. Unfortunately, he might have be the only dictator in history that was so.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 16:51

I think alot of people see the word dictator and base apart of their opinion on Caeser on that, as when we think of dictator today its some sadistic psychopath massacring his own people.

Caeser was impressive in every aspect of his life, he deserves to be remembered for abit more than *destroyer of the republic*.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 19:57

I think Caesar could have Conquered Parthia because of his past brilliance in the Conquest of Gauls, The Civil wars, The Alexandrian wars, The African wars, and The Spanish wars.

Edited by Rome
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 22:25
It would have been extremely difficult, though not impossible, for Ceasar to beat the Parthians. They were nothing like Ceasar had ever encountered, and were a real empire, unlike the barbarians of the west. However, Ceasar was extremely talented and I am sure he would have been able to devise an effective strategy against them.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2005 at 23:36

Originally posted by Belisarius

I find that Ceasar's dictatorship is often misunderstood. What he believed was that Rome needed to be ruled by a single man so that it could move quickly and effectively. However, he also believed that this single man had to be just and wise. Unfortunately, he might have be the only dictator in history that was so.

There is no such thing as one man, just and wise in every way, especially among those that suceed in politics.  Sure the republic wasnt great either, and at the time I may have even supported Ceasar, but we must remember the long term consequences that didnt occure in his lifetime from his actions.  The Senate may have been grossly inefficent in many areas but it never created the system that produced Caligula, Nero, and others. 

And while I think Ceasar would be the best commander Parthia could face at the time, his victory would be far from assured.  Obviously he wouldnt be quashed like some of his predicessors (you know who) and may even be victorious, but man the Parthian army would certainly have been his most challenging foe.

-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 00:03
Well, I never said the dictator was to be perfectly wise and just. Ceasar never really got to show how wise and just he could be as a dictator. However, if this is what he believed, then I would wager that he would try his best to be wise and just. 
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 00:17
True, but what Im saying is that we assume tacitly that he would have been wise and just, and Im saying theres a posibility that his post death personality cult has blinded people to at least the possibility that he could have been a nasty despot.  Its the same way I feel about JFK lol. 
-Alexander Hamilton
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 01:00

The Parthians were not so perfect and challeging they could be beaten by a military master mind. the battle of Carrhea was fought between a skilled general and a rich selfish wanna be ( Crassus ). Also Mark Anthony lost because he was nothing like Caesar .

Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2005 at 20:06
True. Marc Antony was nothing compared to Ceasar. Ceasar found him a bit annoying, by the way. Still, I am convinced that even Ceasar would have a hard time against the Pathians simply because the Parthians were at the height of their power. However, I have no doubt Ceasar could pull out a victory.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 00:02

If Caeser had proven anything beyond doubt it was that he was a man of great talent and infinite resourcefulness. The Parthians would never have been easy, but then few enemies are easy.

His campaigns in Gaul are just incredible, a population of millions cut to pieces by Caeser and his legions, carving his way through Gaul smashing a tribe and allying with another then crushing more opposition almost effortlessly.

If I didnt know any better i'd say Gaius Julius Caeser was born to do what he did, little else can explain how good this guy was at what he did, militarily and politically. His life is like one big soap-opera.

Had Caeser been given the chance to try himself out against Parthia in a full scale campaign then if he had been successful I believe he'd have to be considered the greatest commander without doubt, greater than Alexander or Hannibal.

Infact I dont rate Alexander as particularly impressive anyway, the guy just conquered people, his empire died with him and he left no legacy not like what Caeser left anyway.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 21:11
Caesar could have come up with a plan or tactic to counter the Parthians cheap hit and run tactics. For example like how Caesar beat the German chieftain and his army to Vesontio, the stronghold of the Sequani, and how Caesar circumvallation of the Mandubii stronghold of Alesia.

Edited by Rome
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 22:05
I think Caesar would most likely have done in Parthia what he did in Gaul, use an invitation by one of their typically disloyal subject princes or nations to invade. Having entered the country and acquainted himself with its peoples and methods of warfare, Caesar was more than adaptable enough to be able to wage a campaign against the Parthians. Most of the time the Parthians had huge difficulty keeping peoples such as the Hyrcanians, Iberians, Armenians etc under control, something Caesar would have exploited to the fullest so he could win.
Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 22:08

What makes the Parthians so special on horse back. just because of there horse archers and heavy cavalry, no that is not going to stop Caesar for example he beat the Gauls supereor cavalry and at Pharsalus, Pompey's supereor cavalry.

Rome View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Rome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 22:10
What do you mean Iberians, there native to Spain.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>