Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Huns Europid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Huns Europid?
    Posted: 11-May-2011 at 17:14
The Chinese point of view is that the Huns were tall and Europid with only a minority with Chinese/Mongolian features, at least this is the case for the ruling class. If this is the case then why are European accounts different?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 19:11
Interesting question. Perhaps the Huns were of mixed stock: neither Asian nor European but appearing as such to societies unfamiliar with other races
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 19:29
Originally posted by Nick1986

Interesting question. Perhaps the Huns were of mixed stock: neither Asian nor European but appearing as such to societies unfamiliar with other races

My opinion is that the Alani were within the mix from before the push westwards, and they were very much into the adoption of other peoples. Something the Huns look to have done as they travelled westward to.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 21:04
For something to think about, just why were the Germans called "Huns?"
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 21:21
Originally posted by opuslola

Supposedly its origin is with a speech given by Emperor Wilhelm II on 27th July 1900 given to his troops leaving to deal with the boxer uprising in China. His words were as follows(Translated)

"When you meet the enemy, he will be defeated! No quarter will be given! No prisoners will be taken! Those who fall into your hands are forfeit to you! Just as a thousand years ago, the Huns under their King Etzel made a name for themselves that make them appear awe-inspiring in tradition and myth, so shall you establish the name of Germans in China for a 1000 years, so that a Chinese will never again dare to look askance at a German."

Accounts of German cruelty in their actions, and the widely reported speech from the Kaiser around Europe spread, and was used to characterise the Germans in World War I.  
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2011 at 21:39

That is an interesting thought and it has been proven, with the Tarim Basin Mummies, that Indo European speaking tribes migrated that far east. Also, I once put together a brochure for a proposed museum exhibit about nomadic tribes in that region. Some were Indo European and some were Mongolian. I dealt with a lot of theory when I wrote about these tribes.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 08:05

Because the belts worn by German troops bore the inscription "Gott mit uns" (God with us). When the British saw the inscription they thought Uns meant Huns
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 13:33
Thracian was European and Asian product.Rome forced migrations of Mongolian tribes as mercenaries.Map of modern Europe and nations that inhabit it could prove it!Bulgarians,Hungary,Finland,Turkey and almost
all other countries,have shared "Huns" features. 
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 13:43
central asia was caucasian(european looking) before until the turks and mongols changed their genetics
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 16:14

Because the belts worn by German troops bore the inscription "Gott mit uns" (God with us). When the British saw the inscription they thought Uns meant Huns

You are aware you're showing an inscription on a Nazi German belt, which I would guess comes around at least a quarter of a century after the term was first used.
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 13:26
Originally posted by medenaywe

Thracian was European and Asian product.Rome forced migrations of Mongolian tribes as mercenaries.Map of modern Europe and nations that inhabit it could prove it!Bulgarians,Hungary,Finland,Turkey and almost
all other countries,have shared "Huns" features. 

Boy, your`re pathetic. Better go to make your homeworks. Mongolian migration before 13th cetury A.D.? How low level really!

P.S. Your nationality, you have hidden, would answer many questions
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 13:52
Who did attack Rome 2 decades before it's fail?What did prevent Mongols migrations and interactions of any
kind before?My nationality is Nadenajve!Will remind you,"nadenichka" was about us and my people!Huns were mercenaries in both Empires as Germans!Macedon kings created peace agreement with Thracian king
and alliance!Nothing have changed till than except human prejudices.Ignorance or bad sources?Regards to
you anyway!

Edited by medenaywe - 13-May-2011 at 16:14
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 14:12
Originally posted by medenaywe

Who did attack Rome 2 decades before it fail?What did prevent Mongols migrations and interactions of any
kind before?My nationality is Nadenajve!Will remind you "nadenichka" was about us and my people!Huns were mercenaries in both Empires as Germans!Macedon kings created peace agreement with Thracian king
and alliance!Nothing have changed till than except human prejudices.Ignorance or bad sources?Regards to
you anyway!   

Nadenajve!? Is this some kind of new-born nation? Nadenichka is something I really like to eat. You express good knowledge of Bulgarian and Slavic language. I think I know from where your are. Maybe you can quote some text of peace agreement between any Thracian and Macedonian kings? On authentic Greek language from that epoch, which was used in Macedonian kingdom? Do you know what is the period of time between the fall of Rome and the Mongol invasion?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 14:19
What was Attila the Hun,Mongol mercenaries, leader?Hollywood serial movie character?Lot of "original" scripts and lot of invented nationalities,we share on Balkans.But we are taking about Mongols here!
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 14:29
Mongols on the Balkans?! I see no traces of Mongoloid racial elements in the Balkans (without Turkey). Do you see any? I only know about one minor and an unrecognized nation that brags about its kinship with a tribe from modern Pakistan.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 14:54
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

You are aware you're showing an inscription on a Nazi German belt, which I would guess comes around at least a quarter of a century after the term was first used.

Of course i'm aware. I used to collect WW1 German equipment. Here is an imperial German belt with the Kaiser's crown
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 18:38

Of course i'm aware. I used to collect WW1 German equipment. Here is an imperial German belt with the Kaiser's crown

I get what you mean, but I think the Germans were being called "Huns" because of the Kaiser and what he said to bolster his troops before sending them off to quell the boxer uprising, and later picked up by war correspondents, and this was probably before the average British soldier could get close enough to take a clear enough look at belt buckles. When they did however I can see how it could be possible for some to mistakenly assume uns might stand for Huns.
MediaWarLord View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 19:10
What language did they speak? According some people some of their names were Indo-European or even Iranian. But the very first Huns were people that belonged to the ethnic group that spoke an Uralic language. They mixed a little bit with the Indo-European (Iranian) tribes, but I don't think that that admixture changed their ethnicity or culture...
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 22:00
Perhaps the Huns were the ancestors of the modern Turks. They posess both European and Mongoloid features while their language and culture sets them apart from their Arab neighbors
shikra View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote shikra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2011 at 05:17

The Chinese point of view is that the Huns were tall and Europid with only a minority with Chinese/Mongolian features, at least this is the case for the ruling class. If this is the case then why are European accounts different?

Probably because both had encounters with different Huns Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>