Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In the Court of King Kang(New Court Music needed)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In the Court of King Kang(New Court Music needed)
    Posted: 24-May-2008 at 06:02
Another thread which begot by the other thread begets this one.    In 'Early Geneiss' thread and 'Comfortably Numb' thread we had a few New Prog Rock suggestions and discussions,  thank to Byzantine Emperor and Frederick Roger(hmm, an Eastern Roman and Holy Roman).  Like I've mentioned before I had hard time Neo Prog Rock type music.  Not that my efforts  were that great but I just had hard time letting go of the greatness of Old Masters.  So I open this thread to invite people to post some Music that me and others can appreciate or contemplate. 

Since there are existing few existing Prog Rock threads I put a little personal spin on it.  The main focus is of course sharing music that could be comparable to the Old Masters whether vertically or horizontally.  Of course, most prominent Old Masters are so far, Pink Floyd,Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull.......   Vertical comparisons will be made through later generation bands that could be considered as being influence by the Masters.  Genesis-Marillion, Tool-King Crimson discussions were good examples.  Horizontal comparison would be either solo works or other bands that the members of Old Masters formed or joined like Phil Collins-Brand X, Tony Levin-Liquid Tension Experiment.   I can see this process can even develop into a family tree making process. 

Even more expanded, you may consider any bands from all the sub genres of Prog Rock.  None English speaking bands would be also welcomed in this.  I basically want it to a music sharing archive type thread focus on all the avenues of Prog Rock.

I just want to get it going first, so here we go.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 26-May-2008 at 02:05
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 06:57
This will be a great opportunity to share and learn about great music that is ignored and overshadowed by the multitude of sugarcoated music out there.  I would like to extend a thank-you to King Kang of Mu for getting the ball rolling.

As King Kang mentioned, it is good to start out with the "Old Masters" to know where this new music came from.  This is a history forum, afterall, so why not begin with a family tree overview?  I will start the tree in list form.  Please feel free to correct, subtract, or add if you have a different opinion.  I will list categories and band names followed by their seminal album's title.

Proto-Progressive Masters (1960's)

The Progressive Rock genre

1. The Beatles - Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Past

3. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
4. The Nice - Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack / Five Bridges
5. Pink Floyd - Piper At the Gates of Dawn

The Progressive Metal Genre

1. Deep Purple - Deep Purple
2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
3. Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
4. Cream - Disreali Gears
5. Spirit - Spirit

Progressive Masters (1970's)

1. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer / Tarkus / Brain Salad Surgery
2. Yes - Fragile / Close to the Edge
3. Genesis - Nursery Cryme / Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
4. Jethro Tull - Aqualung / Passion Play

5. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Wish You Were Here
6. Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination / I Robot
7. Kansas - Leftoverture
8. Styx - The Grand Illusion

1. Rush - 2112 / Hemispheres
2. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
3. Deep Purple - Machine Head

Jazz Fusion Subgenre

1. Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
2. Weather Report - Weather Report / Mysterious Traveller
3. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
4. Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
5. Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire / Inner Mountain Flame 

Torch Bearers of the 1980's

1. Rush - Moving Pictures / Signals
2. Asia - Asia
3. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
4. UK - UK
5. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime 

The Rebirth of Progressive Music (1990's)

1. Dream Theater - Images and Words
2. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
3. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
4. Faith No More - The Real Thing / Angel Dust

This is the history of progressive rock and metal as I see it.  There are many more bands and albums (solo artists too) that could be mentioned for their prog elements.  Also, there are lesser known bands that fit the description but remained in the background compared to the greats.  We can discuss these individually, of course.

Next I propose we start listing the groups which make up the subgenres of Neoprogressive music, many of whom take direct inspiration from Dream Theater.  Some of these subgenres include Art Rock, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Jazz Metal fusion, Technical Metal, and others.

EDIT: Added suggestions by Frederick Roger and King Kang of Mu.  Some of these I forgot; thanks for the reminder!

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 24-May-2008 at 23:23
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 08:27
Wow, so much to talk about from the first posting.  I'm just gonna spew out what ever come to mind for a while. 

Sgt. Pepper as early proto-type?   I gonna have agree on that one.  I don't know if it would be the first proto-type, but I have no problem seeing it as Prog Rock especially production and sound engineering, recording point of view.  The argument could be made though in question of their musicianship, skill level, virtuosity, compositional complexity. Not that those qualities are requirements for Prog Rock.  But I have to say they are most the bands up there if not all are more technically capable with their instruments than the Beatles.  I'm not dogging on the Beatles.   They are started it all in many ways.  But could they have played King Crimson or Yes like songs?  I'm gonna have to say no.    I heard somewhere if The Beatles stayed in the projection of Magical Mystery, Yellow Submarine, Sgt Pepper they could have developed into Something like Pink Floyd but I don't know.  If anything at all, Ringo would have held them back evolving more musically. 

First Link.Exclamation
801 Live,  TNK(Tomorrow Never Knows)-a Beatles cover.  Brian Eno sings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAHSvCxyHLs  

Personnel

pretty tight.

I will buy Moody Blues as Proto Type also.   I remember, not personally, King Crimson used to open for Moody Blues in their very early days.  Which means Moody Blues was already a headliner.  I think Procol Harem another band Crimson used to open for.  Later in American Tour they opened for Iron Butterfly, the Grateful Dead, Flying Burrito Brothers, etc.  Speaking the Grateful Dead, not my cup of tea, but 'Dark Star' does come dangerously close.

The Nice, nice.  According to Wiki, EPL could have been HELP; Hendrix, Emerson, Lake, and  Palmer.  Wow!

From Wiki               

Before settling on Carl Palmer, they approached Mitch Mitchell of The Jimi Hendrix    Experience; Mitchell was uninterested but passed the idea to Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix, tired of his band and wanting to try something different, expressed an interest in playing with the group. The British press, after hearing about this, speculated that such a supergroup would have been called HELP, or "Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer".[1]. Due to scheduling conflicts, such plans were not immediately realised, but the initial three planned a jam session with Hendrix after their second concert at the Isle of Wight Festival (their debut being in Plymouth Guildhall a day or two earlier), with the possibility of him joining. Hendrix died shortly thereafter, so the three pressed on as Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Greg Lake made this comment on ELP's discussions with Hendrix:

"Yeah, that story is indeed true, to some degree...Mitch Mitchell had told Jimi about us and he said he wanted to explore the idea. Even after Mitch was long out of the picture and we had already settled on Carl, talk about working with Jimi continued. We were supposed to get together and jam with him around August or September of 1970, but he died before we could put it together."

Blue Cheer however, not familiar with.  Perhaps Byzantine should post  few links.

I would also like to expand on the subgenres.  

I think Seko might have posted this site before some other thread(no?), but according to
ProgArchives.com ( http://www.progarchives.com/ ), the subgenres are

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 22-Jun-2008 at 07:43
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 10:57
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

This will be a great opportunity to share and learn about great music that is ignored and overshadowed by the multitude of sugarcoated music out there.  I would like to extend a thank-you to King Kang of Mu for getting the ball rolling.

As King Kang mentioned, it is good to start out with the "Old Masters" to know where this new music came from.  This is a history forum, afterall, so why not begin with a family tree overview?  I will start the tree in list form.  Please feel free to correct, subtract, or add if you have a different opinion.  I will list categories and band names followed by their seminal album's title.

It's an interesting list, mind if I elaborate and switch some of your options? Embarrassed

Proto-Progressive Masters (1960's)

1. The Beatles - Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band hard to say - many point out Sgt. Pepper's because of the (often denied) concept album conotation. For musicallity I would probably point out Revolver or even The Beatles (White Album) as better examples. 
2. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Past
3. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King I would't call this proto-prog - after all it is THE official first progressive rock album. Big%20smile
4. The Nice - Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack / Five Bridges
5. Pink Floyd - Piper At the Gates of Dawn
6. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
7. Spirit - Spirit 

1. Deep Purple - Deep Purple excellent album (my favorite DP) but definitly not the one I would point out as defining for Prog-Metal. In Rock would be a much more obvious choice, IMO.
2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
3. Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
4. Cream - Disreali Gears  funny how you chose a blues band as ancestors to prog-metal. Nothing against it, in fact I was considering two blues albums myself:
5. Bakerloo - Bakerloo
6. Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green
But the biggest influence to Prog-Metal, in my view, can be found on two albums: 
7. King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic / Red

Progressive Masters (1970's)

1. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer/Tarkus what about Brain Salade Surgery?
2. Yes - Fragile again, what about Close to the Edge and Relayer? (not so much into Tales From Topographic Oceans)
3. Genesis - Nursery Cryme / Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
4. Jethro Tull - Aqualung / Songs From the Wood scandalous that you didn't consider Thick as a Brick, The Passion Play and Minstrel in the Gallery LOL 

5. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon I would add Meddle and Wish You Were Here
6. Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination / I Robot
7. Kansas - Leftoverture Song For America would look nice here as well
8. Styx - The Grand Illusion

1. Rush - 2112 / Hemispheres
2. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
3. Deep Purple - Machine Head

Jazz Fusion Subgenre

1. Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
2. Weather Report - Weather Report / Mysterious Traveller
3. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
4. Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
5. The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire / Inner Mountain Flame
6. Santana - Santana / Abraxas / Santana III / Caravanserai

Torch Bearers of the 1980's

1. Rush - Moving Pictures / Signals
2. Asia - Asia
3. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

2. Metallica - ...And Justice For All really don't agree with this at all
4. Faith No More - The Real Thing Angel Dust would probably be my choice
5. Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair / Voyage 34 / The Sky Moves Sideways / Stupid Dream
6. Spock's Beard - The Light
7. The Flower Kings - Retropolis 
8. Marillion - Brave / Afraid of Sunlight 

Just my two cents. Will add some lesser known bands, as well as some other sub-genres further on.

Edited by Frederick Roger - 24-May-2008 at 11:00
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 19:44
Another overwhelming post from Frederick Roger this time.   No better way to respond such posts, I will just spew out some more.

Revolver.  I think Mojo mag actually voted this as the most influential Rock album of all time few years back.  Whether I agree that assessment or not, I do think it has started some significant change in Rock & Roll music.    Around this time the Beatles stopped touring and became more studio driven music.  Incidents like 'We are more popular than Jesus' comment didn't help their touring in certain parts of the Globe like the Bible Belt in U.S, but I think the Beatles just got too big and they didn't need the revenue generated from grueling tours nor they felt pressured to write a Top of the Pop type songs anymore.  Another words, they could afford to experiment in many ways.  Also Rock & Roll music was outgrowing the technological advance to reproduce the sound in front of a stadium full of yelling teenagers.  That has brought more introspective music making process in Rock.  Rubber Soul should not overlooked in that regard also.  It was no longer Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richards, Carl Perkins, etc inspired shake your booty music.  Instead going out for another night of dancing to those music, they bought those albums, when straight home, put it on with few friends in a room and contemplated with a drag or two.   The seed of spirit of Prog Pock was planted in this cultural overturn of soil in music making and appreciation process, imo.

In the Court of Crimson King as the first official Prog Rock album?  That is allowed in this court.  But again this subject require further discussion.  I'm sure we'll get back to that.

6. The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
7. Spirit - Spirit

More bands I'm not familiar with.  Thanks, Frederick!    I will remember to comment on them after I try them out for least few days.

Prog Metal part is also something I feel little thin on personally.  I'm sure my horizon will be expanded very shortly, thanks to you guys.  Among the 70's Prog Masters, I would also like to bring in a German band, Can.  But I will bring them up in a separate post to do a justice.  
Jazz Rock/Fusion Prog is something I feel confident enough to talk extensively.  I'm sure that will reveal itself in time also.

Another 80's torch bearers.  U.K.!  Although they are more of late 70's, their sound is more like  80's keyboard rock.

(from Wiki)

Determined to work together, Bruford and Wetton next asked guitarist Robert Fripp to reform King Crimson [2] which Fripp had disbanded in 1974. [3] When Fripp declined, Bruford and Wetton decided that each would bring in a musician of his choice to formulate a band. Wetton brought in keyboardist/violinist Eddie Jobson, whom Wetton knew from his work with Roxy Music in 1976 – "stealing" him from Frank Zappa.[4] Bruford recruited guitarist Allan Holdsworth (formerly of Soft Machine and Gong) who had played guitar on Bruford's 1978 debut solo album, Feels Good to Me. U.K. released its self-titled debut album in 1978, capturing the attention of progressive-rock and jazz-fusion fans, as did the band's supporting tour. The quartet then lost Bruford and replaced him with Terry Bozzio for the recording of Danger Money.

U.K. live footages

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7LZlol52I      (Rendezvous 6:02, sorry about the bad quality)

'Nothing to Lose' with better quality.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1_W82gLeo&feature=related

'Caesar; Palace Blues'
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UzsJH7AtDhc&feature=related

As for New/Neo/Metal Prog, I will just digest what you guys contribute for a while.  

Is everybody in?  Let the ceremony begin in this court!

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 20-Jun-2008 at 02:25
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King I would't call this proto-prog - after all it is THE official first progressive rock album

I know; there was an internal debate going on over this issue.  I decided that ELP was the band that resulted from the breakup of The Nice and the classic King Crimson lineup and could be an official Master of Prog Rock.  King Crimson could be too, but I consider them more of an experimental/fusion/psychadelic hybrid that gave birth to prog.

The 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

You might introduce this band to the rest of us.  I am not very familiar with them.  Perhaps they do deserve to be included on the proto-prog list. Big%20smile

Cream - Disreali Gears  funny how you chose a blues band as ancestors to prog-metal.

I think that the virtuosity of Ginger Baker (and what he means to later prog drummers) and Eric Clapton, at this time, merits their inclusion.  Plus, they were excellent examples of the live extended jam tradition that is so important to live prog concerts.

5. Bakerloo - Bakerloo

I am not familiar with either of these bands although I have heard of Ten Years After.

The Beatles - Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band hard to say - many point out Sgt. Pepper's because of the (often denied) concept album conotation. For musicallity I would probably point out Revolver or even The Beatles (White Album) as better examples.

I am sticking to my guns on this one. Smile  I think Seargent Pepper's is a seminal album that helped define the genre and provide elements.  However, I do agree with King Kang about their lack of virtuosity.  Same could be said about the Moody Blues, but I think both are originators because of the stylistic blend and the addition of the concept album.

5. Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair / Voyage 34 / The Sky Moves Sideways / Stupid Dream

These are bands that I intend to include on the Neo-Prog list.  They (except Marillion) came out of the progressive revival that Dream Theater christened with Images and Words.

Dream Theater has cited this album as an important contribution to the development of Prog Metal.  Notice the long songs, fairly complex arrangements, shred soloing, double-bass drumming.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 22:39
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

The argument could be made though in question of their musicianship, skill level, virtuosity, compositional complexity. Not that those qualities are requirements for Prog Rock.  But I have to say they are most the bands up there if not all are more technically capable with their instruments than the Beatles.  I'm not dogging on the Beatles.   They are started it all in many ways.  But could they have played King Crimson or Yes like songs?  I'm gonna have to say no.

No, I agree with your assessment of the Beatles' technical skills.  They were only beginning to explore the depths of their creativity and instrumentation with this album.  However, I think a constant eye on their earlier commercial success, plus the increase in drug use, probably impeded this development to its full potential.  I think Seargent Peppers deserves a place at the top because of its experimentation, conceptual nature, and boundary-pushing.

The Nice, nice.  According to Wiki, EPL could have been HELP; Hendrix, Emerson, Lake, and  Palmer.  Wow!

From Wiki               

Before settling on Carl Palmer, they approached Mitch Mitchell of The Jimi Hendrix    Experience; Mitchell was uninterested but passed the idea to Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix, tired of his band and wanting to try something different, expressed an interest in playing with the group. The British press, after hearing about this, speculated that such a supergroup would have been called HELP, or "Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer".[1]. Due to scheduling conflicts, such plans were not immediately realised, but the initial three planned a jam session with Hendrix after their second concert at the Isle of Wight Festival (their debut being in Plymouth Guildhall a day or two earlier), with the possibility of him joining. Hendrix died shortly thereafter, so the three pressed on as Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Greg Lake made this comment on ELP's discussions with Hendrix:

"Yeah, that story is indeed true, to some degree...Mitch Mitchell had told Jimi about us and he said he wanted to explore the idea. Even after Mitch was long out of the picture and we had already settled on Carl, talk about working with Jimi continued. We were supposed to get together and jam with him around August or September of 1970, but he died before we could put it together."
Although I like Mitch Mitchell's drumming, it has that classic British backbeat style, I am SO glad that they found and accepted Carl Palmer.  He is truely a pioneer in prog drumming and does not get the recognition he deserves.  We hear a lot about Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy, who are awesome in their own right, but to the overshadowing of pioneers like Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, and Carl Palmer.

I have heard of the talks with Jimi Hendrix.  It would have been cool to hear what this supergroup sounded like, to be sure.  But I am glad ELP settled on the lead sound of Keith Emerson on keyboards.  It was truely unique for the time and brought the keys to the forefront as a signature sound for prog.

Blue Cheer however, not familiar with.  Perhaps Byzantine should post  few links.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 01:27
I think the matter of the Beatles, especially Sgt. Pepper issue is pretty much settled(to me at least).  Give credit to where the credit is due but also recognize what their limitations were and how the early Prog Masters have took off from those limitations.  It is amazing though that how their music has evolved so much from their 'Love Me Do' days to 'Sgt Pepper' right in front of millions of people.  Even if they are not necessarily Prog Rock per se, but their evolution was definitely Progressive in more general sense of the word.

I agree with you on Hendrix and ELP matter also.  I would have like to see them playing together for an album or two, maybe a small tour, maybe even just one night for some lucky Hippie bastards.  But I am quite happy with how EPL ended up the way they did.  Agree on the keyboard  power trio part, agree on Carl Palmer,  check, check.

Matter of Blues in Prog Rock needs more discussion perhaps.    Obviously there is no Prog Manual that says how many 1/9 notes you have to play to be called as a Prog Rock.  No prerequisites on atonality, chromatic sequences or polyrythmics.  But those are qualities that often associated Prog Rock especially in heavier ones.   Those are even used as the measures of their virtuosity and sophistication.   These qualities also often set them apart from Blues based Rock music.   As great as Cream and Led Zeppelin were, at what point  they could be included as the uncles of Prog Metal and Stevie Ray Vaughn is not?  I'm not making a point for one way or another.  It is a genuine question from me.  In other words, at what point it's too Bluesy to be Prog?

I am glad that Byzantine has brought up Ginger Baker.   As much as  virtuosic and sophisticated Clapton can be, I don't think Clapton alone can put Cream into this bloodline. Usage of double bass drums was the beginning, studying African drumming another which brought different ways to chop down the blues beats and wonderful textures that were innovative not just in Blues Rock but 'progressive' for all at the time.  I like to hear more on this Blues-Prog Rock issue, if you guys have more to add on.

5. Bakerloo - Bakerloo

I am not familiar with either of these bands although I have heard of Ten Years After.

Ditto.

Started to check out some Blue Cheer.  Thanx for the links.   I know, I could easily google it up myself.  But I do want this thread to be somewhat archival, plus just with names of bands I don't know what particular album or songs to look for.  So thanx again.

Pistons game is about to start.  I'll be Cheering Blue while I'm watching the game.  See you in few hours.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 06:34
Pistons were terrible tonight.

Listened to Blue Cheer.   Reminds lot of heavy blues rocks like Hendrix, The Who, Cream with bit of Kinks maybe.  But when I found "Doctor Please' that was lot more, psychedelic, spacey and heavier more like Iron Butterfly, even early Pink Floyd.   Blue Cheer seems like actually a good band to talk about that Blues/Prog line. 

Prog Rock and Psychedelic Rock is closely related.  Bands like Pink Floyd belong to both.  But those two aren't exactly interchangeable words.  The Grateful Dead isn't Prog.  I don't know how Robert Fripp would feel if somebody called King Crimson 'so psychedelic, dude'. 

I always thought the term Art Rock kinda combines both Prog and Psychedelic.  But I think some people consider Art Rock and Prog are interchangeable words and Psychedelic is a subgenre for both.  It is clear to me that Blues influence is still prominent in Psychedelic than Prog.  That could be because Prog rejects Blues, or Prog is just bigger genre than Psychedelic so there are more prominent influences(like Jazz or Classical) other than Blues.

Then again we could run into similar problem with Jazz Fusion Rock.  Are all Jazz Fusion Rock, Prog Rock?  Not all Fusion Jazz are Prog Rock.  There are Fusion Jazz that are fused with more Classical, Folk, World Music than Rock.   Bossa Nova is in a sense a Fusion.  Many Cuban or Afro Jazz can be Fusion.  Bela Fleck is fusion, but is(does) it Rock?  Popol Vuh?

Any way this discussion will be continued......
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 12:18
Damn, you guys really pound those keys when I'm not around... LOL Gee, so much to discuss, where to start?

First off, a little add-on to this list:

4. Faith No More - The Real Thing Angel Dust would probably be my choice
How could I forget (I didn't entirely - The Flower Kings are there) the contribuiton to the rebirth of Prog by the great Scandinavian bands?
9. Änglågard - Hybris / Epilog
10. Anekdoten - Vemod / Nucleus
11. Landberk - Indian Summer

Right, movin' on.

In The Court of The Crimson King - Regarding the matter of ITCOTKC being or not the first progressive rock album, although it is arguable (as the existence of such a genre like Proto-Prog atests), it's widely accepted as such, mostly due to the coining of the term "Progressive Rock" by Frippy to describe KC's debut album. 

The 13th Floor Elevators were a texan psychedelic band from the 1960's whose influence would extend far beyond the realm of Prog, spreading its aura to other genres like blues-rock and even punk-rock. Led by guitarrist Rory Erickson, their acid-driven cacophonic first album predated the psychedelia more famously delivered in England by Barret's Pink Floyd, even rocking out a bit more than the Floyd.

Cream are also close to kind of heavy psychedelic music delivered by the 13th Floor Elevators, despite their blues foundations. A bit further away from the influence of psychedelia were three british blues-rock outfits closer to prog: the aforementioned Ten Years After (the most prolific), one-shot outfit Bakerloo (whose guitarrist and mentor Clem Clemson would go on to join Colosseum) and the short lived Peter Green formation of Fleetwood Mac. What makes them worthy ancestors of prog is their use of unconventional song structures, themes, and lenghts filled with content, not just mindless jamming.

These are bands that I intend to include on the Neo-Prog list.  They (except Marillion) came out of the progressive revival that Dream Theater christened with Images and Words.

I don't agree with this at all. First off, none of those bands is in the slightest similar to Dream Theater. Second of all, there is also a question of anachronism: Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings were the children of Steven Wilson and Roine Stolt, respectively, and a vehicle for their solo work, both predating Dream Theater - the first has even admited to never having heard them until recently, while Stolt is himself a product of the first wave of progressive rock (the classic years), being around since the 70's with his band Kaipa. Both Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings drink their influences directly from the source of 70's progressive music, and can be put alongside DT, not under them, in the new-progressive movement (NOT neo-prog - that's a genre on it's own). More specifically, in the same way Dream Theater carry the torch of modern Prog-Metal (which is also being disputed by other, in my opinion, better groups), Porcupine Tree carry the torch of modern Space-Rock (heirs to the sound of Pink Floyd, Ash Ra Tempel, Neu! and Tangerine Dream), and The Flower Kings carry the torch of Modern Symphonic Prog (reproducing the sounds of bands like Yes and Genesis, especially).
Spock's Beard are indeed more closely related to Neo, although their sound is still pretty much symphonic, and closer to that of The Flower Kings than to bands like IQ, Jadis, or even Fish's Marillion.
Finally, I just want to say that I believe Queensrÿche, not DT, to be one of the main contribuitors to the Prog-Metal genre and to regrowth of Prog as a whole in the late 80's and early 90's.   

Dream Theater has cited this album as an important contribution to the development of Prog Metal.  Notice the long songs, fairly complex arrangements, shred soloing, double-bass drumming.

Sorry, I meant to say I don't find Metallica part of a new wave of Progressive Music. Their influence to Prog-Metal, however, is well-proven, that is why I believe they would be better listed as an "influence to" (along with the New Wave of British Heavy Metal) rather than an "example of", as I interpreted on your list. Smile

Movin's on.

Art-Rock is a term I cherish immensely, and one of the few beefs I have with ProgArchives, who decided to discard the term completely when it served so many purposes. I still see Progressive Rock is a sub-genre of Art-Rock, as is Jazz-Rock Fusion, Progressive Folk, Canterbury, Kraut, Avant-Garde and so many others (like Psychedelic), while at PA they put all these different genres into the bag of Prog.
I can see the problem, as the term is constantly being misused to describe every piece of crap record companies and independent artists put out these days, but that should't be a reason for the prog community to stop using it correctly.    

Edited by Frederick Roger - 25-May-2008 at 12:21
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 18:17
So your understanding of Art/Prog/Psychedelic relation is similar to mine.  Art Rock as bigger container that houses both Prog and Psychedelic?  And there is a distinction between Prog and Psychedelic, though how blurry it can get at times?

For this thread purposes though, we should talk about all Art Rock, Prog  Rock and Psychedelic Rock no matter how  we define  their relations  and who belongs to what.   Well, because this thread has much cross-reference potentials already. 

Wooooo, Dream Theater and the Rebirth of Prog issue.  The battle line is set in this court between Byzantium and Holy Roman.   Usage of heavy metallic weaponory and armory expected.  Must practice Chivalry.  Not that I'm concerned about it between two well respected members.  But if it ever gets sticky enough, just remember, it is love of the music that unites us.   Passion in this case is not an end in itself only a means to an end.   So is compassion.

Speaking of love of this music, Seko must be on the long weekend vacation.  I also think Act of Oblivion can add a lot from Metal perspective.  I'll wait little longer and PM them if they don't show up by then.  It is my aim that this thread shouldn't stop at few dorky(sorry, I meant it in good way)  experts spewing out their personal preferences(not that anything wrong with that) but also historical archive that other future lost souls can stumble upon wondering through the wilderness of AE; to rediscover the past of this music and project into the future.  This is the aim of the Court of the King Kang. 

Today I will try out some of The 13th Floor Elevators. 

Gotta run now though, see you guys in several hours.

Be here or be square!

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 25-May-2008 at 21:06
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 21:22
Another great thread guys. Yes it's been a nice long memorial weekend marked by seldom visitations. I'll revisit with a few observations as well on the history or prog and the neo-movement in a couple of days.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 03:09

Pistons were terrible tonight.

Are you from Michigan?  I lived there for 2 years and have always been a Tigers fan.  So I feel your pain; they are doing awful now.

Listened to Blue Cheer.   Reminds lot of heavy blues rocks like Hendrix, The Who, Cream with bit of Kinks maybe.  But when I found "Doctor Please' that was lot more, psychedelic, spacey and heavier more like Iron Butterfly, even early Pink Floyd.   Blue Cheer seems like actually a good band to talk about that Blues/Prog line. 

Yes.  Blue Cheer also is a bit heavier than some of the other blues bands from the time.  That guitar riffing has some chunk to it.  Plus the bassist and drummer have a tight rhythm section.

Prog Rock and Psychedelic Rock is closely related.  Bands like Pink Floyd belong to both.  But those two aren't exactly interchangeable words.  The Grateful Dead isn't Prog.  I don't know how Robert Fripp would feel if somebody called King Crimson 'so psychedelic, dude'. 

No, no, I don't mean KC is a psychadelic band in the sense of Haight Ashbury or anything.  In fact, when KC opened for the Stones at Hyde Park in 1969, they sent the fun-loving hippies to the hills!  They did not know what hit them when KC launched into "Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man!"  But I do think KC has a bit of an avante garde acid jazz influence to to them that borders on psychadelic in places.

I always thought the term Art Rock kinda combines both Prog and Psychedelic.  But I think some people consider Art Rock and Prog are interchangeable words and Psychedelic is a subgenre for both.  It is clear to me that Blues influence is still prominent in Psychedelic than Prog.  That could be because Prog rejects Blues, or Prog is just bigger genre than Psychedelic so there are more prominent influences(like Jazz or Classical) other than Blues.

I always considered Art Rock to be a separate subdivision of prog.  Art Rock is characterized by rich soundscapes, epic themes, concept albums, and not so much on the extreme instrumental techniques.  Moody Blues' Days of Future Past and almost all of Alan Parsons Project's albums are examples.

I don't agree with this at all. First off, none of those bands is in the slightest similar to Dream Theater. Second of all, there is also a question of anachronism: Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings were the children of Steven Wilson and Roine Stolt, respectively, and a vehicle for their solo work, both predating Dream Theater - the first has even admited to never having heard them until recently, while Stolt is himself a product of the first wave of progressive rock (the classic years), being around since the 70's with his band Kaipa. Both Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings drink their influences directly from the source of 70's progressive music, and can be put alongside DT, not under them, in the new-progressive movement (NOT neo-prog - that's a genre on it's own). More specifically, in the same way Dream Theater carry the torch of modern Prog-Metal (which is also being disputed by other, in my opinion, better groups), Porcupine Tree carry the torch of modern Space-Rock (heirs to the sound of Pink Floyd, Ash Ra Tempel, Neu! and Tangerine Dream), and The Flower Kings carry the torch of Modern Symphonic Prog (reproducing the sounds of bands like Yes and Genesis, especially).

I agree in essence with what you have said about the Flower Kings.  They were doing there thing in the more prog/art rock vein while DT was doing prog metal - they started in 1985 with When Dream and Day Unite.  However, FK and Spock's Beard gained more popularity once Mike Portnoy tapped Stolt and Neal Morse to join Transatlantic.  But I think musically all three have made significant contributions to prog and can stand on their own merit.  In that list I pretty much lumped together rock and metal for the neoprog resurgence to start out.

Sorry, I meant to say I don't find Metallica part of a new wave of Progressive Music. Their influence to Prog-Metal, however, is well-proven, that is why I believe they would be better listed as an "influence to" (along with the New Wave of British Heavy Metal) rather than an "example of", as I interpreted on your list.

That's fine.  I agree with this too.  But ...And Justice For All has some definite proggy moments and stylistically is very influential to Dream Theater and the Prog Metal category.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 06:33
I was born in Seoul but I've been in Michigan since I was 15, went to high school and college here too.  Tigers, lets not go there yet, it's still early.  But Wings!  Hell ya!  Pistons, I will give Chauncy one more game but Stucky should start from now on.   I have a feeling Seko's got some Michigan connection too.  A big Wings fan!   Then again it's not surprising considering the rich musical heritage of Michigan, Motown and Stevie Wonder, to Detroit and Ann Arbor Jazz Fests, to MC 5, Madonna to Techno to even Kid Rock, Eminem White Stripes, the list goes on and on and on......  

My first King Crimson show, Kalamazoo State Theater.  The California Guitar Trio opened for them.  I didn't have the ticket.  My friend and his older brother did.  I tagged along anyway without the ticket.  I thought I could get one there easily.  But not only it's sold out, also no scalpers!Cry  I was about to give up.  I told my friends to go in but they wouldn't without me.  So we walked around the building one more time looking for scalpers.  Guess who I see walking towards the theater back door, Bill Bruford!  I remember shaking his hand, but I have no idea what I said to him or what he said back to me.  Out of body experience.  After that we walked back to the front of the theater.  I can hear CGT's opening act has started already which I didn't know they were the opening act until I could hear them from outside.   No one else was around except us.  They were all inside.  And then this big doorman guy walked up to us.  And goes, 'Hey, you guys still looking for tickets?'  I gave him $7 more than the regular price and it got us the 10th row seats!  Only missed first two song of CGT!  More out of body experience.  Yes that was a good day. 
Second show, Detroit State Theater. I shaved my head, grew mustasch and were suspenders in honor of Tony Levin.  I looked more like Korean-Mexican.  Didn't get shake his hands though.

Again, thanks for Blue Cheer.  'Doctor Please' is already in my YouTube Favorite list.

I didn't mean that you meant King Crimson is psychedelic by that comment.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I was just commenting on Fripp himself might cringe on the word, 'psychedelic'.  But then again, who am I to speak for Frippmeister?   Interesting that you brought up Hyde Park though.   'Get Thy Bearing' and 'Travel Weary Capricorn' from that era do sound like sophisticated The Grateful Dead, don't they?  Of course there are Fripp's guitar tantrum moments that are uniquely King Crimson.   And there are later Crimsongs that are bluesy enough.  'Ladies of the Road' and 'Easy Money' come to mind.  Not too many of those though. 

Now I see where you are coming from as far as 'In the Court of the Crimson King' as Proto-Prog.   Fripp is definitely less dominant figure in that album(Fripp was more of the guitarist than the leader)  compare to later albums which he reigns as the leader of the band, the presence only equaled by Zappa over his bands.  If there are more songs like 'Get Thy Bearing' and 'Travel Weary Capricorn' in that album, I would agree with you.   Even 'Moon Child' I can see it as Acid Rock.  I guess what I'm saying is what the listener hears as psychedelic is not necessarily from the musician's point of view.    however if the musician created a psychedelic music from his point view almost always the Hippies will pick that up. In overall, I think it's a bonafide Prog whether it's THE first Prog or not.  But I was wrong once before.

As far as Art Rock thing, I tend to agree with Frederick on this one, too.  I feel almost bad now.  I stated my reasons already so I will go to Wiki as lazy person would.

(fromWiki)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relationship with progressive rock

The concept of "art rock" has also sometimes been used to refer to the "progressive rock" bands which became popular in the 1970s. The All Music Guide states that "Progressive rock and art rock are two almost interchangeable terms describing a mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels of artistic credibility."[1] Progressive rock eventually stuck as a label for a specific genre of rock music, while "art rock" was used to refer to a wider, more subjective and harder-to-categorize collection of bands.

Princeton University's Wordnet dictionary states that "progressive rock, art rock" are "a style of rock music that emerged in the 1970s; associated with attempts to combine rock with jazz and other forms; intended for listening and not dancing".[3] As well, the book American Popular Music by Larry Starr & Christopher Waterman defines art rock as a "Form of rock music that blended elements of rock and European classical music. It included bands such as King Crimson; Emerson, Lake & Palmer; and Pink Floyd."[4] Bruce Eder's essay The Early History of Art-Rock/Prog Rock states that "'progressive rock,' also sometimes known as 'art rock,' or 'classical rock'" is music in which the "bands [are] playing suites, not songs; borrowing riffs from Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner instead of Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley; and using language closer to William Blake or T. S. Eliot than to Carl Perkins or Willie Dixon."[5]

The Guide to the Progressive Rock Genres lists "art rock" under the subheading "Forms Tangential and Peripheral to Symphonic Rock/Progressive Rock." The guide states that "art rock" is "another term often used interchangeably with progressive rock, [which] implies rock with an exploratory tendency." The guide also gives another definition of "art rock", which "describes music of a more mainstream compositional nature, tending to experimentation within this framework", such as "Early Roxy Music, David Bowie, Brian Eno's 70s rock music, and Be Bop Deluxe.[6]

Connolly and Company argue that the "creation of the “art rock” sub-genre, whose members were identified by music played with artistic ideals (e.g., Roxy Music, 10cc)...was in many ways a response to prog rock’s long-winded concepts, an attempt to condense progressive rock’s ideas into shorter, self-standing songs." He argues that "Art rock’s lifespan was brief, generally contained to the ‘70s."[7]

Art rock may be considered "arty" through imitation of classical "art" music or literature, or simply through eclecticism. Examples of the former include Queen, The Moody Blues, The Who,[8][9] Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Nice, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Kate Bush, The Beatles Sgt. Peppers and Love Forever Changes) and examples of the latter include Peter Hammill, Roxy Music, Genesis and Yes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there are opinions that agreeing with yours.  Based on Wiki, yours is more supported than mine actually.  Perhaps my view is only supported by this definition.

The Guide to the Progressive Rock Genres lists "art rock" under the subheading "Forms Tangential and Peripheral to Symphonic Rock/Progressive Rock." The guide states that "art rock" is "another term often used interchangeably with progressive rock, [which] implies rock with an exploratory tendency."

Instead of a subheading of  tangential and peripheral to Prog,  Prog itself, plus tangenial and peripheral to Prog.   'an exploratory tendency' can be so many things.  Thus broaden the boundary of Art Rock wider than Prog or Psychedelic.   That would be my view which doesn't follow the quote I picked to support.Ouch

Moody Blues, I saw them as Symphonic Prog.  But not in the same way Yes is.  I can see why some sees Yes as Symphonic .  Heck, Wakeman's synthesizers and Howe's guitars can probably create more sounds than 100 piece orchestra!  But for me Yes is just Prog as much as King Crimson is.  Alan Parson's? Maybe Electro Prog?  Is there such thing?   If there is , I would put it there along with Brian Eno and Kraftwerk.    I don't know,  let me think about little more.

Good to see you Seko.  Excited to hear from you more soon.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 26-May-2008 at 07:44
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 16:38
Nice story about your experience at the King Crimson concert!  I can't say that I have met any of the prog masters.  However, when I went to see Dream Theater at the Congress Theater in 2006 for the Octavarium tour, my wife and I got there 2 hours early to wait in line for a general admission place.  While we were waiting, Mike Portnoy (drummer of DT) walked out of the bus, stopped and waved to the crowd, and into the Theater.  That was pretty cool. Smile
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 17:01

Nice story about your experience at the King Crimson concert!  I can't say that I have met any of the prog masters.  However, when I went to see Dream Theater at the Congress Theater in 2006 for the Octavarium tour, my wife and I got there 2 hours early to wait in line for a general admission place.  While we were waiting, Mike Portnoy (drummer of DT) walked out of the bus, stopped and waved to the crowd, and into the Theater.  That was pretty cool. Smile

Perhaps the best part of the story is that your wife wants to go to Dream Theater concert.  I don't wanna sound like a sexist or nothing but I must admit that there aren't too many female Prog fans.  I met two that knew who King Crimson was before I told them about it.  I ended up dating both, not at the same time of course.   You know, you gotta hold on them whenever you come across.   Intelligent beauty who loves music, so rare.  Oh, what a lucky man he was.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 17:12

Perhaps the best part of the story is that your wife wants to go to Dream Theater concert.  I don't wanna sound like a sexist or nothing but I must admit that there aren't too many female Prog fans.  I met two that knew who King Crimson was before I told them about it.  I ended up dating both, not at the same time of course.   You know, you gotta hold on them whenever you come across.   Intelligent beauty who loves music, so rare.  Oh, what a lucky man he was.

I am a very lucky man indeed.  There are not many women out there who can get into prog, whether you are a "nerd" who is totally into it or just a casual listener.  My wife actually listened to country music and oldies mostly before I met her.  I played some Kamelot and then Transatlantic for her and she was hooked!  They can be found, although they are diamonds in the rough. Big%20smile

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 05:41
Byzantine Emperor, you are indeed lucky. Krista (my girlfriend) is not very fond of most of my favorite bands, Iced Earth, Metallica, Megadeth, Hammerfall, et al. But, at least she like Pink Floyd and Zeplin. I am trying to get her to to like Dream Theater though, not taking as of yet.

Personally I think Dream Theater's best album is Images and Words. They put out some amazing stuff but I never get tired of Images and Words. What do you guys think? What is DT's best album?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 05:58
Originally posted by King John

Byzantine Emperor, you are indeed lucky. Krista (my girlfriend) is not very fond of most of my favorite bands, Iced Earth, Metallica, Megadeth, Hammerfall, et al. But, at least she like Pink Floyd and Zeplin. I am trying to get her to to like Dream Theater though, not taking as of yet.

Thanks! Big%20smile

First, I must ask, what kind of music does Krista listen to on a regular basis?  There is a process of easing them into the music, especially Dream Theater.  It might be more difficult with the bands you mentioned above because they are pretty consistent stylistically.  With Dt, you can play someone their ballads, slower songs, and more prog rock stuff in that sequence first.  It will get them hooked on the more palatable music first.  Then you expose them to the crazy side - the lengthy epics, instrumentals, and heavier metal side of DT.

Originally posted by King John

Personally I think Dream Theater's best album is Images and Words. They put out some amazing stuff but I never get tired of Images and Words. What do you guys think? What is DT's best album?

Although it can be adjusted according to my mood or "kick" at the time, this is how I would rank DT's albums:

1. Images and Words
2. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory
3. Ocatvarium
4. Systematic Chaos
5. Train of Thought
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
8. Awake
9. When Dream and Day Unite

I think Petrucci's addition of 7-string guitars and the joining of keyboard wizard Jordan Rudess added a whole new dimension and dynamic to their music.  I tend to like the heavier and epic side of DT more than the lighter commercial; that's not to say I dislike the latter though.  Many hardcore fans scoff at the new material (post Metropolis Part 2), saying it is all about chops and wearing their influences on their sleeves.  I fail to see this criticism ultimately and think they are ever evolving in creativity while keeping that melodic+techical core that they always have had.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 07:27
Ok, where was I?  Prog Rock and Women, Byzantine, Lucky Man, Art Rock, Michigan......  

Oh, The 13th Floor Elevators!  That's where I'll start.    Again, bluesy, psychedelic, distortion, power rock.    Quite similar to Blue Cheer actually.  Love that Water Jug thing.   Makes cool rolling bass sound.  I would compare to The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and Steppenwolf.   It's funny actually I just looked up Steppenwolf in Wiki, this is the first sentence.

Steppenwolf is a rock band that helped establish heavy metal music in the late 1960s along with bands like Blue Cheer and Iron Butterfly.  

Hmm, all along Blue Cheer reference was hiding from me.  The 13th Floor Elevators might as well be on the same list.  Wiki does say one of the Psychedelic but also Proto-Punk or Garage Rock.  In that sense I would relate to The Kinks most.  But that Electric Jug thing , that does make huge difference, doesn't it?   I mean if I didn't see the footage and just listened to it , I would think it's electric bass.  In that case it's pretty far out bass line.   Psychedelic for sure, Proto-Prog, jugged in.

This brings up another interesting aspect of early Psychedelic and Proto Prog.   I don't know if it's just me, but Ive noticed that many early Psychedelic does come from the Summer of Love, San Fransisco scene, headed by The Grateful Dead and The Jefferson Airplane, Jimi, Janis, The Doors, Iron butterfly and I think Blue Cheer and The 13th Floor Elevators fit right in there.  And I think Blues is more dominant influence in this scene 

But also right around the same time, there was another group of bands across the Atlantic Ocean that were more Proto Symphonic Prog.  I think early Pink Floyd was an exception.  But The Moody Blues, Procol Harum, The Nice fit into that.   They have more  Classical, Symphonic, even Jazzy feel to them than the counter parts in San Fransisco.  I think the narrowest definition of the word Prog Rock comes from this tradition than the ones from San Fransisco.   I know, that could be controversial, that's why I said 'narrowest'.  This is one of the reason I see Art Rock as something that encompasses both traditions.

Anyway, The Moody Blues and The Nice are already mentioned, if anybody not familiar Procol Harum, they did have a quite popular song, 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWULu5_nXI&feature=related

Love that song.  Annie Lennox does pretty good version of it too. 

Perhaps little more Symphonic Proggy from same album from1967, 'Conquistador'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P2NJFmhvJ4&feature=related

Another band this time from San Fransisco scene, It's a Beautiful Day.   Yes that's the name of the band, the whole sentence, 'It's a Beautiful Day'.  Their most popular song' White Bird', still gets some radio plays in Classic Rock stations in U.S.   Their first album wasn't until 1969 but they did come out of the Summer of Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0J77CRMeTA&feature=related

Another one, 'Bombay Calling'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJoAO88Bdk&feature=related

Doesn't  the intro sound lot like Deep Purple's 'Child in Time'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KnTAdfdcWI&feature=related

Some say this Jazz musician, Vince Wallace  wrote 'Bombay Calling' back in 1962.

Either way they are all good examples of Proto-Prog?  I brought up 'It's a Beautiful Day' as something Psychedelic and Prog like Pink Floyd  though they sound very different from each other.  It's a Beautiful Day had more American Folky, almost Blue Grassy feel to it.

Let's see, tomorrow, I'll check out some 'Spirit' by Spirit, hope it's distilled.

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 20-Jun-2008 at 02:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>