Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Borat: The Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Please... did you like the movie? If not... I will be executed...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [76.67%]
7 [23.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Borat: The Movie
    Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 22:20
I am going to watch Borat. I heard it's very antisemitic... but do you think it's ok to watch it? My friends say that it's hilarious... but according to the trailer, it just looks stupid.

Join us.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 22:32
It's hilarious. The jokes are less about anti-semitism and more about the juxtaposition of cultures and how he (Borat) is so culturally inept - in regards to American culture - also some jokes have to do with his grasp, or lack therof, of English. There are some anti-semetic jokes but think about the context, the whole premiss was created and preformed by a Jew (Sasha Baron Cohen).
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 09:50
that film insults Kazakhistan.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 10:54
What has this to do with the steppes or CA?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 11:22
Originally posted by xi_tujue

What has this to do with the steppes or CA?

One word: Kazakhstan.

Join us.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 15:38
I saw it --dubbed in french actually!! Although I don't think I missed much.  Nothing to write home about, it's certainly insulting about Kazakhstan but it is also almost obscenely lazy about trying to be accurate.. for example the setting was in romania, the music was mostly balkan too and often lifted from other movies, they were speaking hebrew not kazakh,etc. 

I don't really care about it..what I don't like is that the "village" in the movie was a gypsy village in Romania, there are some news articles about how they didn't really understand what was being filmed and were pretty mad/insulted later.  OK admittedly the whole movie was like that but it's different because the American "buffoons" were not portrayed as complete savages.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 20:00
Well, it's a comedy movie... after all.

Join us.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 20:19
Personally  I started laughing from the moment the 'Running of of the Jew' started and didn't stop throughout the whole film till the end titles. And from the sounds coming from the cinema around me, everyone seemed to be doing the same.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 01:04
Originally posted by Paul

Personally  I started laughing from the moment the 'Running of of the Jew' started and didn't stop throughout the whole film till the end titles. And from the sounds coming from the cinema around me, everyone seemed to be doing the same.

Exactly. The film was hilarious!
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
kingofmazanderan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kingofmazanderan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 04:07
Off subject but the main actor in the film (not that im proud of it) his mother is a Iranian Jew.
oghuzkb View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oghuzkb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 10:36
I think its all about sarcasm, I like,Nice...
ALLAH gave us two books---Quran and Nature.        ---Jamaliddin Efghany
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 10:59
This movie <
was accualy pro semetic in my opinion.

There were a bunch of aniti semetists in the movie but let us some up wich kind of people they were

well it doesn't from wich country they were they were all rednecks

So they show who think that the people think that Jews are bunch of creepy money gbbing people are uneducated ignorant hicks. These people allways need a scapegoat for there crapy situation(pardon my french)

this is my opinion
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 12:34
It was hillarious, but if a Kazak was to kick his a**e in at the first opportunity, i would wind that funny too.LOL
Huncuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Huncuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 14:45

Qazaq Turks in Turkey hated this film,they said the film was Anti-Turk,not comedy and they called all Turks to not watch this film.

In their reportage with Turkish Milliyet newspaper.

I also don't like this filmAngry

Edited by Huncuk - 09-Jan-2007 at 14:46
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:19
Originally posted by Huncuk

Qazaq Turksin Turkeyhated this film,they said the film was Anti-Turk,not comedyand they called all Turks to not watch this film.

I also don't like this film[IMG]height=17 alt=Angry src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

What? How is it anti-Turk?

Join us.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:12
The movie makes fun of the Unites States and the ignorance of its citizens (although I think they picked not the brightest of our citizens...). Kazakhstan is just a country that Americans supposably have never heard of, it could have been any other country...

ps: The fat guy speaks Armenian throughout the movie, and Borat answers in Hebrew.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:32
Originally posted by mamikon

The movie makes fun of the Unites ps: The fat guy speaks Armenian throughout the movie, and Borat answers in Hebrew.

I know. I wondered about that for some time now.

Join us.
Huncuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Huncuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 02:34
Originally posted by pekau

Originally posted by Huncuk

Qazaq Turks in Turkey hated this film,they said the film was Anti-Turk,not comedy and they called all Turks to not watch this film.

I also don't like this film[IMG]height=17 alt=Angry src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

What? How is it anti-Turk?
They mean film was anti-qazaq and who are qazaqs?English?Chinese?Wink

They said it was anti-turk because Qazaqs are a Turkic people.

Edited by Huncuk - 10-Jan-2007 at 09:35
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 08:46
Although, in keeping with the ignorance of the film I seriously doubt anyone watching it would ever realize there was anything turkic involved. 
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 15:07
Originally posted by mamikon

The movie makes fun of the Unites States and the ignorance of its citizens (although I think they picked not the brightest of our citizens...). Kazakhstan is just a country that Americans supposably have never heard of, it could have been any other country...

ps: The fat guy speaks Armenian throughout the movie, and Borat answers in Hebrew.

What does he accualy say?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>