Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite Ancient Persian names?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favourite Ancient Persian names?
    Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 12:58
Which are your favourite Ancient Persian names,historical or not?You can also use their Hellenified versions ,if you prefer.E.g Darios or Darius.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 14:37
Khashayarshah - Xexes
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 15:00
Nice thread!!
Datis and Artafernis,they were in the battle of Marathon..
I remember me trying to memorize them in the 4th grade.
What do they mean?

And Roxane.
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 08:27
I think Surena is a great name, but most people think it's a girls' name. As for actual girls' names, Atosa and Amytis are my favourites.

EDIT: and I have to give honourable mention to Purandokht and Azarmidokht, since they are my aunts' (and also a very important pair of historical figures') names Tongue

Edited by Xshayathiya - 13-Nov-2006 at 08:29
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:21
I once had a venus flytrap I named Ataxerxes, I always thought that was a cool name.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 17:33
i think Bijan is a great name.
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 18:40

i dont know persian names but i choose from ur posts artafernis sounds good, and roxane. others not

Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 23:47
Originally posted by JanusRook

I once had a venus flytrap I named Ataxerxes, I always thought that was a cool name.

I was told once that Artaxerxes in Persian is Ardeshir. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 00:02
Is Nima ( I do not know how to write it in English) an old Persian name? If so that is my favourite name. It was my beloved brother s name.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 15:45
Nima is just Amin backwards, I think, unless someone can provide some historical background to Nima. lol.
shinai View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote shinai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 18:30
I go with  Darush, it sounds very nice
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 20:29
For girl I like - Anahita

for guy I like - Aria
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 11:21
I like the Persian name for Zoroaster, Zarathustra. I also like Shahansha ("King of Kings"), and the name Isfahani.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 12:54

Rostam --Conjures images of bodily might and strength.
Hormoz --Conjures images of a giant straddling the straits of hormuz.
Esfandiar-- like the resonance + is similar to Asfandyar which probably comes from it..
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 12:57
I like the name Xerxes for some reason, but I think the name Cyrus has a really powerful sound to it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 13:02
Originally posted by Xshayathiya

Originally posted by JanusRook

I was told once that Artaxerxes in Persian is Ardeshir. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Ardashir is Artsakhshir (Sassanid form) probably ArtaKhashayarshah (ArtaXerxes).

Arda means Earth. So you are right in a sense.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 13:04
Harpagus.

think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 04:48
Originally posted by malizai_

Rostam --Conjures images of bodily might and strength.
Hormoz --Conjures images of a giant straddling the straits of hormuz.
Esfandiar-- like the resonance + is similar to Asfandyar which probably comes from it..

Theyre horrible sounding names LOL I think Reza or something along those lines is a Persian girls name, sounds nice.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 14:25
I know males with the name Reza. They sound like rolling stones, i agree. Smile
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 16:01
LOL - Reza is firstly Arabic in origin and secondly, IT IS A MALE name.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>