Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great vs. Beethoven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Was Beethoven a better composer than Alexander was a general?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [69.57%]
4 [17.39%]
3 [13.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great vs. Beethoven
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 17:16
I've noticed people like to make comparisons, so I'd like to have your opinion on the question if Beethoven was a better composer than Alexander was a general?

Or alternatively, would Beethoven have been a better general than Alexander a composer? If Alexander would have written music, how would it have sounded? And how would Beethoven have tried to defeat Darius?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 17:23
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 17:28
LOLLOLLOL
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 21:57
I voted Beethoven because Alexander was a brutish thug -- hardly a paragon of civilization, who brought nothing but destruction and civil war, whereas Beethoven gave us such wonders as his piano sonatas and his symphonies. However, I do not think that either of them would have done well in each other's fields of specialty!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 22:15
Beethoven began mastering his art at age 4, Alexander in his mid teens. It is easy to see who is more precocious.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 23:18
Beethoven would play his music and Darius would surrender in awe of his music hehehe
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 00:49
Beethoven would play his music and Darius would have his head chopped off. Alexander was one of the greatest generals in history, that trumps any composition ever written....
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:29
I go with Beethoven, even though some of his works are not as good as other composers like Dvorak and Rimsky-Korsakov. Also, Alexander was not that great of a general (the Persians never had 250,000 men, and their army was mostly made up of rabble peasants with wickerwork shields and spears).

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 15:45
Beethoven, no contest. It's a choice between creation and destruction... easy.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 08:16
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Beethoven began mastering his art at age 4, Alexander in his mid teens. It is easy to see who is more precocious.

Good explainationWink

My vote also goes to Beethoven..

But in my heart the winner is Mozart
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 09:10
It's a draw.

I read that Alexander's unfinished symphony was a work of pure genius. Especially the last movement of the climactic finale where the conductor leaps into the audience and proclaims to the MET ticket holders, " I hearby rename this auditorium as Alexander's Metropolitan Opera".

Beethoven would have made quite the proud generalissimo of his day. One can visualize him burning Persepolis while muttering 'Ode An die Freude'.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Alexander created an empire...
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 19:16
Originally posted by Adalwolf

He also destroyed a few empires.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 19:47
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Originally posted by Adalwolf

He also destroyed a few empires.

Quite true. You could say that he created multiple empries since his single empire fragmented after his death.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 04:36
What use is an Empire to anyone but him? Beethovens work we can still enjoy, Alexanders work was gone as soon as himself. I was not even a lasting Empire. Flimsy excuse.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 05:11

What use is an Empire to anyone but him? Beethovens work we can still enjoy, Alexanders work was gone as soon as himself. I was not even a lasting Empire. Flimsy excuse.

His legacy was absolutely enormous, transforming a single monolithic Persian state into multiple Hellenistic ones, for better or worse.

In one of its better manifestations, the magnificence of Alexandria and Ptolemaic Egypt combined the intellectual drive of the Greeks with the wealth and power of the East.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 09:35

hey don't knock his empire unless you have created a few yourself.

LOLDisapprove

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 10:01
Originally posted by Constantine XI

His legacy was absolutely enormous, transforming a single monolithic Persian state into multiple Hellenistic ones, for better or worse.

That was not Alex's doing, that was just a side-effect. His aim was to create an empire, but it lasted less than two decades, that's as bad an excuse of an empire as I've ever seen...

Originally posted by Sparten

hey don't knock his empire unless you have created a few yourself.

LOL Why would I? I'm no megalomaniac.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 12:28
Well right now since we are all so civilized we say Beethoven, back then people would have picked Alexander over 10 of the best Thracian singers the ancient world ever had.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 16:39
I think we should judge the two in comparison by the movies made about their lives.

While the recent "Alexander" was one of the worst historical movies ever to come out of Hollywood, I thoroughly enjoyed "Beethoven" and laughed a lot, especially when he ate the turkey from the dinner table. And the sequel wasn't bad either.

Edited by Komnenos - 25-Oct-2006 at 16:40
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>