Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apocalypto-MesoAmerica and Mel Gibson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apocalypto-MesoAmerica and Mel Gibson
    Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 20:19
    This is a movie about an ancient Mayan civilization and I think this is absolutely awsome because first off, I think Mel Gibson is a great director. Second, this is like the first time I ever heard about a movie about a Meso-American civilization. This movie is gona be soo cool!!!

Check this link out to see the trailer and stuff!

Apocalypto Trailer
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 22:36
Interesting just seen the script. Maya vs English conquistadors.

The English come, introduce slavery, teach the peace loving Maya new practices of human sacrifice and cannibaliism. However one brave Maya chieftain fights for liberty and drives the English out of the Americas. Another Gibson classic.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 23:12

I hear than the Movie will be spoken in Maya. Is that correct?

By the way, I love the movie "New World". A great artistic job.

Pinguin 

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:22
Originally posted by pinguin

I hear than the Movie will be spoken in Maya. Is that correct?

By the way, I love the movie "New World". A great artistic job.

Pinguin

When I looked at the trailer I heard no dialouge. But now since you mentioned it, I would not be the least surprised if the dialouge will be spoken in Maya since Gibson's film was spoken in Latin and Aramaic in his last film "The Passion." I will definitly have to see this movie.

So yea it probably will be spoken in Mayan!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 14:10
Yep, it was said earlier that it will be in native languages.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 15:39
Originally posted by Paul

Interesting just seen the script. Maya vs English conquistadors.

The English come, introduce slavery, teach the peace loving Maya new practices of human sacrifice and cannibaliism. However one brave Maya chieftain fights for liberty and drives the English out of the Americas. Another Gibson classic.

Let us not forget that the one brave Maya cheiftain, Bravaheartatu, has sex with the future king's wife(that will bear a child), and later dies by torture by refusing to accept Edward I as his ruler. His last words were "AFFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEEDAMOMA!" Later, the guy that "betrayed" him kicks Edward II's butt.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 23:19
Don't tell me the movie is about the founding of Belize!!!

What a dissapointment!!!!!

Of all the stories about the Mayans Gibson could chose, why he has to select one related to the Brits? Particularly when everybody knows how the Brits treated Native Americans. British not only killed Natives but send hundred of thousands of Blacks to Belize to change the demography in there.

If the movie is in honour of those Brits, I guess I am not going to see the it, then Thumbs Down

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 00:50
Mel Gibson as Anthropologist? Who would have thought it... but I guess you can't put anything past the Australians - they do have the Aborigines.
The Passion of the Christ... I like the scene where those huge German blocks topple in the earthquake and Gabriel gets thrown into the pit of hell... it really brought me back to the fall of Rome- Mikeavellian style. Evil Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 08:03
When did the British arive in Belize? In the 17th century?
Weren't the Maya already decimated by deseases by then?
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 09:23
 I like Gibson as an actor and director,through his career he made a great roles.
Patriot.
Brave Heart(historical accuracy doesn't account).
Passion of the Christ.
Conspiracy Theory.
What Women Want.
with no doubt he is a capable man in acting and directing.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 12:54
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

The thing that Paul and I were saying was a joke(parody of Braveheart plot) and the Maya were decimated before the Spaniards came.

Bonde View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 15:30
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

this is like the first time I ever heard about a movie about a Meso-American civilization.

Is this not the first movie ever done about the Pre-Columbian Americas? Or is there other ones that I have never heard off?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 00:03

That's one of the biggest lies of historians: "decimated by diseases".

Yes, many Native Americans suffered a lot of mortality when got in touch with the Europeans, but that DOES NOT MEAN they become extinct !!!!

Very few Native groups become extinct because killings or contagious diseases. But there where some that were OVERCROWDED and OUTNUMBERED by foreigners of European and/or African origin.

In the Caribbean, for example, the Tainos "become extincted" because they intermarry with whites, and lost theirs culture in the process. Most people of the Caribbean, regardless of their aspect, carry Amerindian genetic markers.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 00:07
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

The thing that Paul and I were saying was a joke(parody of Braveheart plot) and the Maya were decimated before the Spaniards came.

Who says Mayas were decimated? There are Millions in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.

Mayas were invaded, tough, by the British. What a naughty people those Brits.  They invaded, brough colones, slaves, and did whatever they like with the local populations.

Well, they are paying the prize rigth now of all the invasions they did. Today you hardly see a Brit in London LOLLOLLOL

That's karma I guess.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 05:19

Yes, many Native Americans suffered a lot of mortality when got in touch with the Europeans, but that DOES NOT MEAN they become extinct !!!!

I never said they were extict, I said they were decimated. What happened to the Native Americans in the 16th century was the single biggest demographic catastrophe in world history. Up to 100 million people died, Mexico's population declined by 95% (the number of people living in Mexico in 1520 wasn't reached again before 1950), in some parts of the Americas there are still less people living now than in 1492.

This is in no way an attempt to minimize or play down the Native Americans. On the contrary, it is exactly because this demographic catastrophe that Native Americans became neglected by historians. If it weren't for desease, I don't even think Europeans would ever have managed to conquer the continent.

btw, have you read 1491?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 10:14

btw, have you read 1491?

That's a book that exagerates numbers.

It is easy to see that the technologies of the pre-contact times didn't allow for the densities some writers pretend. How do I know? Because up to the end of the 20th century there were still natives been contacted in the Amazon. Yes, there was a certain degree of mortality at contact, but many survived as well.

A total population for the Americas between 15 to 25 milllions is the more likely estimation. The numbers above hundreds of millions are simply bull.

I hope people should read serious writers, instead of guys that want to become famous.

Pinguin.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 14:19
The total cultivated acreage in just the Amazon basin alone would have comfortably fed 70-90 million people.  If there were only 15-25 million tops, why would they expend that energy to produce that much food. {source- Univ. of Penn. Amazon Civilizations Project]  Yes, I know it's all a HOAX! LIES,LIES, all LIES.  But humor me, pinguin, your always saying we underestimate the indigenous peoples, isn't it possible you have done the same?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 16:22
Agriculture techniques of many Native American peoples were highly efficient, definately capable of supporting many inhabitants. 'Hundreds of millions' is indeed to high an estimate, but 80-100 million people is definately possible. 25 million inhabitants for Mesoamerica, the most densely populated area of the Americas, is a commonly cited number.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 17:49

When did the British arive in Belize? In the 17th century?Weren't the Maya already decimated by deseases by then?

Very few Native groups become extinct because killings or contagious diseases. But there where some that were OVERCROWDED and OUTNUMBERED by foreigners of European and/or African origin.

In the Caribbean, for example, the Tainos "become extincted" because they intermarry with whites, and lost theirs culture in the process. Most people of the Caribbean, regardless of their aspect, carry Amerindian genetic markers.

Pinguin

Decimated is the not the same as extinct. The point here is that their civilization was in declined due to a rapid population loss.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 17:52

...btw, have you read 1491?

That's a book that exagerates numbers.

It is easy to see that the technologies of the pre-contact times didn't allow for the densities some writers pretend. How do I know? Because up to the end of the 20th century there were still natives been contacted in the Amazon. Yes, there was a certain degree of mortality at contact, but many survived as well.

A total population for the Americas between 15 to 25 milllions is the more likely estimation. The numbers above hundreds of millions are simply bull.

I hope people should read serious writers, instead of guys that want to become famous.

Pinguin.

Come on, Pinguin. The last sentence was not called for. If you have better statistics, just shared them with all of us. And if you disagree with the author of 1491, please say so without insulting anyone who has read it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>