Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crimean Tartars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crimean Tartars
    Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 11:39
i want to ask ,who are the crimean tartar in ukraine  and where they come come ,please let me know ,thank you .
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 12:28
They are Tatar Turks who lives in Ukraine. They come from Central Asia. But they are minority in Crimea now.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 17:21

Hundred thousands of them were exiled and deported by Stalin to Siberia, many died in the way, the others in working camps, and the rest resided in Siberia.

Nowadays, I think there is a relocation going on with them.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Hundred thousands of them were exiled and deported by Stalin to Siberia, many died in the way, the others in working camps, and the rest resided in Siberia.

Nowadays, I think there is a relocation going on with them.

this happend to all of the crimera and caucasus turks and other people under communismAngryAngry
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 22:12
There are still some in Poland. In the Commonweath of Poland and Lithuania they were given full civic rights and some of them still continue their traditions.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 23:34
Originally posted by rodimus prime

i want to ask ,who are the crimean tartar in ukraine  and where they come come ,please let me know ,thank you .

AFAIK, Tartars arrived to Crimea in 13th c. They were independent on Russia until late 18th c. (but since late 15th they were depended on Ottoman Empire). Tartars lived in Crimea until 1930's. Then, they were exiled by Soviet Union (it was Stalin's decission of course) and they couldn't live in Crimea until Ukraine has become independent. Now they can return to their old homes and many of them do it.

Edited by ataman - 08-Sep-2006 at 23:38
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 05:09
In addition to Ataman, they came and was settled in Crimea running away from Mongol firestorm..But after Golden Horde emerging as a separate formidable power, they had been an instrumental part of the Golden Horde Empire...

Later on as the Golden Horde divided after Tamerlane's attacks, Crimean Tatars formed one of four Golden Horde Khanates in Crimea.And then this khanate became a vassal of the Ottoman Empire after 1475, always an important vassal which was in a strategical position, source for resources and armies...Though sometimes there came out very loyal and helpful Khans, sometimes contrary.

After 1783, during Catharine the Great's era, Crimea was annexed by Russia, and a process of Slavization began in Crimea by a wave of immigration encouraged by Tsarist Russia...Then Stalin...Exiled whole lot of them and caused tragic deaths...

Many of them also emigrated to several different countries, Turkey, Poland, Moldavia, and even some other distant European countries...
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Jonon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jonon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 22:25
What is the origin of Crimean tatars.
Rulers family tree?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 02:29
Hi all.
I am crimean tatar. But i dont think that we are came from Central Asia. We are childs, child nation of many nations that lives at Crimea at different time (huns, sarmats, greeks, italians, turks and many many others).
I am sorry for my bad english, if anyone of yours need a detailed information i can give you in russian or turkish.
 Your can find more information in english at
and more info at

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 02:45
One aspect also. We are not a tatars or tartars. Our native name qirimli, its means people who live in Qirim (Crimea). Tatars its a mongolian family, and this name has given to us by russians, they call all foreigne nations tatar.
Huncuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Huncuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 06:59
Originally posted by albat

One aspect also. We are not a tatars or tartars. Our native name qirimli, its means people who live in Qirim (Crimea). Tatars its a mongolian family, and this name has given to us by russians, they call all foreigne nations tatar.
No after,1200s Tatars are ethnicly Kipchak.So Tartar and Tatar are Turkish names after Ghengis.

Origins of Rulers were Ghengisid.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 10:08
They have been brutally oppressed by Stalin, who deported all of them to Siberia and repopulated Crimea with Russians. Tatars were the majority in Crimea, but now they are but a tiny minority. There continues rampant discrimination against them. Some are still stuck in Siberia and cannot return to their homeland.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 11:33
Yes they share the same faith as my people. They have all suffered a great deal under stalin. The Tatars even more than the meskheti Turks
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 23:26
Actually most of them gone to Ozbekistan not Siberia.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 07:44
Originally posted by erkut

Actually most of them gone to Ozbekistan not Siberia.

yes I'm aware of that(but there is a lot of time between 1944-89)
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2006 at 09:48
It is probably The Ukrainians who suffered most under the Stalinist regime.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 07:37
Well actually too many Ukrainians cooprate with Nazi's just like Tatars. But Stalin did not imigrate them.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 11:46
The Ahiska (Meshket) Turks however actually fought against Nazi's and were still exiled overnight      
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 12:12
Originally posted by albat

Hi all.
I am crimean tatar. But i dont think that we are came from Central Asia. We are childs, child nation of many nations that lives at Crimea at different time (huns, sarmats, greeks, italians, turks and many many others).
I am sorry for my bad english, if anyone of yours need a detailed information i can give you in russian or turkish.
 Your can find more information in english at
and more info at

Always good to have someone who is actually an ethnicity that is being discussed, when other people decide what some other ethnicity is, it usually comes out biased for or against the particular ethnicity that that person is. Such as in this case, clearly, they are not all "turkic" and albat states that as well, and he is actually a Crimean Tatar.  And no flames please, I actually do have some turkic ancestry as well, so it's not in my self interest to spread any propaganda.  Just stating my own opinion. I like the wikipedia article, thanks albat.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 12:48
Again your mixing "race/DNA" etc with ethnicity/nationhood, they can have various DNA from many people's but ethnically they are Turkic, around 10% of today's Turkish population is actually of Crimean Turkic origin.    
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>