Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fairskin complex in south asia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fairskin complex in south asia?
    Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 09:31
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

I have friends who have turned white after returning from Russia after studies and they called me black. Even the
whites, if they roam or work in tropical countries, they become brown and Sun-beaten. 

I dont know about humans but there is particular breed of horse that are known to be born black at birth but start changing to white as they mature.  The Lippizaner is such a horse which will turn as white as snow, being born as black as night!

mughal View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mughal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 12:12
hahahahha seriously man, u are the most ridiculas claimer of things. Blacks turning in to whites hahahahhah, the only one i know is Micheal Jackson and he got a surgery to turn white.
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 09:06

My dear,

I object and protest the way in which you mention my name.

My name is M. Nachiappan and I do not hide behind any nick name.

I do not know why are hiding behind TELDEINDUZ without giving any details in your profile.

The stuff is coming out with everybody and it is assessed.

Edited by M. Nachiappan - 25-Apr-2007 at 09:07
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 08:35
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

I have friends who have turned white after returning from Russia after studies and they called me black.

Lol Nach. It's worth coming here just to read the stuff you come out with

Edited by TeldeInduz - 25-Apr-2007 at 08:36
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 08:28

I do not know why again and again, there has been so obsession with skin colour herein AE.

Skin colour / pigments has nothing to with fairness, language, religion etc.

As moderator has pointed out, it depends on the climate. Note, how many dark-skinned persons are changing colour in USA and Russia.

I have friends who have turned white after returning from Russia after studies and they called me black.

Even the whites, if they roam or work in tropical countries, they become brown and Sun-beaten.

ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 02:49
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "Well, you call us colored, but when you're born you are pink.  When you grow up, you're white.  When you're cold you are blue.  When you're mad you're red, and you have the nerve to call me colored." I am in awe of this quote whenever I think of racism. I feel certain things don't deserve discussion even on an academic interest and one of them is discrimination based on physical attributes. When I say discrimination, I include complex into it since I feel complex is a corollary to discrimination.
Dharmo Rakshatihi Rakshataha
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:17

actually physical features also played a key, gujrat has been invaded many times from outside so people over there are a mix. The other guy does look a little mix. i am not saying every gujrati person would be a mix but there are lot.

Edited by pathan - 22-Apr-2007 at 16:17
AlokaParyetra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:13
wow, good job. did you base that just off of skin color?

ok, now i'm taking the pic down. First off, it's not safe to keep pictures of yourself circulating on the net. And second, that's a horrible picture Smile.
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:09
lol their preety close, but i am assuming ur the right one.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:03
Ok, a quick test. I am one of the two pictured below. Assuming I am South Indian (which i am. Telugu), which one am i?

Hint: The other one is a gujurati.

[There used to be a picture here]

Edited by AlokaParyetra - 22-Apr-2007 at 16:13
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 15:52
yes but that lighter skin colour would still not make you being considered fair right. i am assuming your from south india? like i have some indian punjabi friends and thier skin colour is preety fair compared to average indians but in the summer they get preety tanned and look very indian but in the winter they loose there tan and could easily be considered olive skin. 
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 15:45
That's not true. I am "dark skinned," and i change color in the summertime. I live in Midwest of USA, so there are lots of varying climates and temperatures throughout the year. I get up to two shades darker in the summer than in the winter. Same with most of my Indian friends.

The temperature and sunlight in southern india is much less varying. So they appear to be the same color throughout. But, indians that move out of the country and into europe and america generaly get lighter.
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 15:42
yes those people are dark skinned and i agree majority of indians are like that. actually the way to define darkskin is basically when it doesn't change its colour in any climate, like Europeans get tanned in the summer when its hot but in the winter when its cold they get back to being really white. But for most indians the colour stays the same doesn't matter if their living in cold climates of europe of hot climate of india.

I am pathan and my skin colour is olive, kinda like persian or greek. i have noticed in the summer sun i can also get preety tanned but as soon as the winter comes i get back to being smooth olive lol.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 15:22
well, how dark do you define dark skinned? The majority of Indians, north or south, are not as dark skinned as blacks.

Not all "Dravidians" look like this (color wise):

But more closely, this (color wise):

I don't know if that is "dark skin." Maybe not tan, but perhaps a dark tan?

I was just going by wiki's shades of brown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_%28color%29

EDIT: Nevermind. I thought the word represented the color above it. I meant "copper" colored.

Edited by AlokaParyetra - 22-Apr-2007 at 15:31
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 14:24
wow wait tanned skin is not dark skin, even in North america Darkskinned people are kinda a looked down upon, especailly blacks.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 12:31
I said 50yrs without any sort of calculated timeline. It's just a guess of when i think people will start valuing darker skin. It might be 100 or 200 yrs. But eventually, the notion will die out.

And it's only recently in North America that darker skin is valued because it's only recently that North America has become as affluent as it has. Wait till the Chinese become as affluent, and you'll quickly find tan Chinese men and women.
northpakistani View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote northpakistani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 01:36
Same reason Victorian age queens of england were painted white as ghosts...........I guarantee, and am willing to make a wager, that this mentality will die out come 50yrs. (Aloka Payetra)

Statements seem to contradict themselves...you obviously proved that this fad has continued for centuries.

In North America however, dark skin is a sign of the affluent and powerful, who can afford to cruise and vacation on beaches. So in the most part this trend has changed quite significantly in the west but the eastern zones are obsessed with bright skin even today. Consider the Chinese, Koreans and Eastern Asians who deeply idealize fair skin.

So does  this fair obsession stem from Indians, or East Asians?
Don't Middle-Eastern's like it as well?
A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

-- Albert Einstein
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by mughal

For the most part fairskin is still looked upon as superior in most of south asia. I am from pakistan and i know this is the case here. The Darkskinned people are treated badly for the most part and fairskin people are looked as highly upon. Even most of my friends want fairskinned wives and fairskinned children, there are special creames available to make ur skin fair.

my question is will this problem ever fade away? or will it always remain?

I highly doubt you're from Pakistan originally, but it's just an impression. And if fairskin was so great in Pakistan, the Frontier and Northern Areas would be the centre of Pakistan, not Karachi or Islamabad. Fact of the matter is politically and economically, even socially it doesn't really matter in Pakistan what skin colour you are. Some of the darker people are the wealthiest and most powerful, some of the whitest people are the poorest. You could make the case for India, but that's another story.
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AlokaParyetra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 23:02
It's not an issue of superiority, but preference. Same reason Victorian age queens of england were painted white as ghosts. Fair skin represents a lack of hard labor, a luxury many can't afford.

If you don't like, understand it's just a phase. I guarantee, and am willing to make a wager, that this mentality will die out come 50yrs.

At first, as the population as a whole gets richer, the sale of fairness creams will increase due to everyone's ability to buy the creams. However, since higher paying jobs result in less physical activity and thus fatter people, people will start to look down upon a sedentary lifestyle and try to adopt a more active one. As a result, people will try to look healthier, and associate the outdoors with being healthier and better looking. And since the outdoors come with a tanner body, being darker will no longer be bad.

In other words, what looks overworked now will look healthy after a while.
pathan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote pathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 22:43
lol well generally most pakistanis are preety fair, except maybe around sindh or southern punjab they are mix bag there. I think this is a bigger issue in india. i remember i had a friend from Hyderabad in south india who was always putting fair and lovely cream to become more fair, i couldn't help but laugh lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>