Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Turkey has a Bizantine Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Does Turkey has a Bizantine Identity
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [52.83%]
25 [47.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Turkey has a Bizantine Identity
    Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 10:20
ok,in trkiye(geographicly) it is possible to see Pre-Trk roots,but in our culture,it is so difficult...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 08:23
Originally posted by pinguin

I agree! Why not?

Here in Hispanic America all people is proud of the Ancient Amerindian civilizations, and we consider them part of our country, and also consider them to be a part of our ancestry, either in blood or spirit.

Anyone that say Latin Americans have not roots in the lands we live or that we are invasors, be prepared to received a punch in the nose LOL

The situation is the same anywhere, including Turkey. People loves theirs lands and all theirs ancestors, regardless of the differences of the past. And traditions always survives the struggles.

That what I think anyways.

Pinguin

I agree with you again...

I am proud of Roman achievements  in my countrySmile

i think they even still  contribute to my country to an important degree.

Not only by tourism means, but the fact that Turkey is lcoated in Asia minor and civilisation spreaded from here makes me feel betterWink

Edited by TheDiplomat - 03-Nov-2006 at 08:28
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 19:28
Originally posted by Mordoth

No , i did not , but modern-day anatolia still does not include a simple OTTOMAN Monument , that's why.
So you don't have Ottoman Mosques and bridges in modern-day Anatolia?
All the investments are in European lands . I mean bridges - Imarets - universities - mosques

Bridges - yes, some
Imarets - I don't know what that means
Mosques - for muslims
Universities? - please...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 13:19

I agree! Why not?

Here in Hispanic America all people is proud of the Ancient Amerindian civilizations, and we consider them part of our country, and also consider them to be a part of our ancestry, either in blood or spirit.

Anyone that say Latin Americans have not roots in the lands we live or that we are invasors, be prepared to received a punch in the nose LOL

The situation is the same anywhere, including Turkey. People loves theirs lands and all theirs ancestors, regardless of the differences of the past. And traditions always survives the struggles.

That what I think anyways.

Pinguin

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 12:55
Why not, here in Britain were proud of for example "Bath", its Roman but doesn't stop us being proud of it and using it as a tourist attraction.

Plus, not all pre-Turkish monuments and buildings in Turkey are Greek. There are Roman, Assyrian, Hitite, Lydian, Lykian, Phygian and so on buildings. Today there are no Hitite's, Lydian's, Lykians, Phrygians etc today, its possible that some of these people are today Turks so Turks can be proud of what's on their land.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:59
I think that Turkey definatley has Byzantine and Greek roots, but not as much as they make out. In Turkey, many of the classical sites and guidebooks make out that these are places of Turkish national pride- these sites are nothing to do with the Turks! I think that Turkey and her people do have a lot to be proud of- The blue mosque, topkapi palace, maritime and scientific development...magnificent, but can they Turks be proud of the Byzantine monuments in their country? I think not.
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:09
You warning me? Never realised that..and why?

Arber ; Do not take it personal ; but i do not like to see nationalism WHILE concerning about the historical topics and variety of incidents that are lived CENTURIES ago . 
I 've told it to one of Greek friend and i wish he also did not take it personal .

Did you??

No , i did not , but modern-day anatolia still does not include a simple OTTOMAN Monument , that's why .
All the investments are in European lands . I mean bridges - Imarets - universities - mosques

And then? What does this have to do with what I posted?Anyway this is not rue, and you are not being objective

If you think like that; i 'd invite you to Anatolia , my homeland . And do not hesitate . There are also Albanian ( Arnaud arbitrary )people who are living with us in harmony.

I didnt accuse nobody and didnt say that

Did not you ? Sorry (!) .

If you have decided to write in english, then you should know that my nation is called albanian. If you will write in turkish, than you can say Arnaut

Haha , i know that but Arben , Arnavut , Arnaud , Albanian are all arbitrary to be used , since no forum members is involved in conversation .

LoL or not LoL, the balkans are really undeveloped, in a european context. Think about it more than 2 times, and also after posting...

And it depends on the comparison . You compared European and Ottoman civilization and each of them have a different context .
Frankly; if Ottoman was not that aggressive , may be there could stand much more developments , aquaducts , irrigations and variety of investments of Turks in modern day Albania .
 - Thank you for caring my word , and i hope , you 'll do ...
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 12:56
unfortunatly,unfortunatly....
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 11:13
Originally posted by EGETRK

yepp,they went to greece after 6-7 september 1955...And they still going...They still emigrate to Europe Usa,or Greece...

Do you think I didn't know that,very well my friend.
But this "6-7 September" doesn't seem little bit strange to other forumers... What a coincidence!!! Isn't it?

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 11:09
 Arben ; despite i've warned other forum members not to treat like a utopic nationalist ; you 're struggling not to abide my call .

You warning me? Never realised that..and why?

1- It seems you 've never seen Anatolia during The Ottoman period ;

Did you??

all the monuments - mosques - Hans - Imarets ...etc are located and built in Balcans , especially to Muslimize those places . You can't see a simple historical site that belongs to Ottomans , it is negligable with respect to the ones in Balcans-Middle East and Egypt .

And then? What does this have to do with what I posted?Anyway this is not rue, and you are not being objective

2- You accuse Turks by calling them " They used the local Muslim people by using their spirituality and exploited their bloods " .

I didnt accuse nobody and didnt say that

LoL , i see any TURKS that are living in Balcans as brothers including Arnauds , Bosniaks and other Muslim people . They are mixed with the Turkish immigrants that were situated in 15 th century .

If you have decided to write in english, then you should know that my nation is called albanian. If you will write in turkish, than you can say Arnaut

Think about it 2 times before posting it . ( If Balcans are undeveloped , neverland is developed ) LoL

LoL or not LoL, the balkans are really undeveloped, in a european context. Think about it more than 2 times, and also after posting...
Prej heshtjes...!
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 10:34
Ohhh...Come on!!!This subject does not make a sense...İ can not believe that we talk about byzantine culture in Trkiye...No,impossible

and also i want to add:
Patrinos

'''BUT in 1950 for example were more than 160000. What happened???They assimilated or they are in Greece now?? Why did you write this?? To show how much tollerant Turkey is with minorities?? '''

yepp,they went to greece after 6-7 september 1955...And they still going...They still emigrate to Europe Usa,or Greece...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 21:10

Thanks Mordoth:

However, If I knew the topic would be controversial perhaps I would not posted it. But I did because I am interested in what happened in Turkey after the fall of the Bizantine Empire.

As you know, my mother culture has strong roots in Spain, a society that was very intollerant in matters of religion in the past. So somehow we have a stereotype about Turkey which I think is not the truth, specially when that country received with open arms in the past so many refugees from Spain itself, like the Sephardic Jews. So my intention asking it was simply to learn more about Turkey.

Besides, what happened in Turkey when defeated the Bizantine Empire is similar to what happened in Spain in Al-Andalus, and also with the Conquest of the Americas. In all these processes there were invasions and wars but afterwards there was a fusion of people, traditions and identity. And those are precisely the topics on which I am more interested.

Thanks to all.

Pinguin

Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 20:26
Originally posted by pinguin

That's quite interesting. So there is a continuity in the Bureaucratic system as well. One of the things I admire of Turkey is precisely its tolerancy with minorities. Particularly, they received lots of Spanish Jews (Sephardites who speak Ladino) that were expelled from intolerant Spain in the XVI century.

Well, I used the world "assimilation" in a possitive sense as it is though in my culture, on which means "integration". It was not my intention to offend, anyways.

Pinguin
Hey pinguin  ;
   I watch your good griefs and intention upon Turkish civilization . Thank you for starting such a thread to be discussed . Clap
   Before the Conquest of Istanbul ; Byzantine army was helping to State of Ottoman ( it was not expanded yet ) during the engagements .
And Byzantine was paying tributes to Ottoman annually . ( It was weakened )
   As you remember ; Pope BEnedictus XVI has declared a word ; that escalated the reactions of Muslim ; belonged to Manuel Paleologus . Those words took place after the defeat of Otto-Byzantine forces . ( Kadi Burhaneddin ; The Feudal stete of Eredna defeated them near Corum ) And exactly ,those words took place inside a letter to be sent to Emperor's brother Theodor .

AFTER THe CONQUEST OF ISTANBUL ; now watch ; The State promoted to an EMPIRE called " Osmali Imparatorlugu " ( Ottoman - Roman Emperor ) The Padshah was called " SULTAN - I RUM " ( Sultan of the ROME )
   How ? Because of the states men of the Byzantine and many bureaucrats took place inside the palace . A new Roman empire , lets say .( Some of Venecian and Genoise origined artisans and scholars that were grown in ISTANBUL ;  fled from Istanbul to Italy after the conquest  . ( That triggered the RENAISSANCE )

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 10:30
WARNING to some particular members:

Any further attempt to bring already well-exausted discussions of Greek -Turkish relations of the modern history into this very thought topic will not be tolerated and henceforth yoru messages will be deleted.

apart from that,

I, as a moderator, personally feel like i owe a'' thank you" to Pinguin, who came up witha fresh  and undiscessed topic like this. Clap
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Mordoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 08:36
I really wonder whether Greeks would be taken as a interlocutor if they were muslims . 
Or if Turks that were christians , would be treated like today ;  that deported Muslim Armenian folk of the region . ( IF Turks were Christos and Armos were muslims )
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 07:45
Originally posted by Bulldog

You cannot blame this on the Turks, its the Greek Church who had such views regarding being Greek. Its the Church who would ostrazise a person from Greek society and being a part of the Greek nation if they were to become Muslim.
im not blaming turks, that is completely besides the point, nor are we talking about a greek nation or greek society just a greek community in a ottomon society.

remember you said greeks didnt assimilate as easily (one reason was religion) as others, i disgreed with this, greek muslims are an example of this. You also said assimliation was done through  free will, which for me would be as accurate as saying it was completly forced.

Im just showing you, that this isnt a black and white subject nor did  the sytems of the ottomons cater for any shade of grey or had a system based on equality, making assimilation a little less natural than what you think.

(mortaza points out very well that being muslim doesnt automitically make one a turk in the ottomon years)

anyway this got way to off topic. aplogies to the rest

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 07:13
Leonadis
can you read? what about greek muslims? They werent reconised as greeks by the ottomons and unfortunatly our nationalism cut them out along those same lines. Where is the choice here? doesnt sound  very free to me. you cant be greek and muslim in the ottomon system.

You cannot blame this on the Turks, its the Greek Church who had such views regarding being Greek. Its the Church who would ostrazise a person from Greek society and being a part of the Greek nation if they were to become Muslim.

In such an enivronment, Greeks would join Turkish areas and find that Turkic community was far more accepting for them. Turkic Nationhood was far more "inclusive" and still is today, Pax-Ottoman is responsible for this. Even today there are many racial groups who share a common Turk identity with no problem what-so-ever, Turks don't judge being a Turk upon colour and looks. This is why you can see Blone and Black Turks together both equally proud of being a Turk, still you cannot see such unity among Black European and White European.

Leonidas
the ottomon system in theory would work quite nice, but it depends alot on the local rulers (aga's?) and the competancy of the sultan and everyone inbetween, when some pr*ck gets power we are screwed no matter what the rules say.

I agree.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:16
can you read? what about greek muslims? They werent reconised as greeks by the ottomons and unfortunatly our nationalism cut them out along those same lines. Where is the choice here? doesnt sound  very free to me. you cant be greek and muslim in the ottomon system.
I think at that times, there is not muslim turks or greeks, but only muslims.So you cannot become muslim turk too.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:10

As I said, nationhood/ethnicity is determined mainly by culture/identity. If your mother language is Greek, your bought up a Greek, are Orthodox Christian and have Greek culture your a Greek right? what if you were "ethnically" a few generations back of maternal and paternal Turkic heritage, would it change this fact? ofcourse not.

The Devshirme process has been turned into the bogeyman of Ottoman policies. There are so many misunderstandings regarding it. Children were not kidnapped, rounded up and taken away to become slave-boys. The Devshirme had strict rules. They would go to rural villages, they would only take children with their parents concent and if they had more than one son..
ive been over this before with others and i think Antioxos answered this very well but you only answer

the ottomon system in theory would work quite nice, but it depends alot on the local rulers (aga's?) and the competancy of the sultan and everyone inbetween, when some pr*ck gets power we are screwed no matter what the rules say.

The Devshirme gave these people a way out, through this system, their children had an opportunity to become important people, recieve education and they were allowed to travel back to their home villages and bring their wealth back aswell.
patronising emperialist talk, for any parent even contemplating giving their child away would only demonstrate how bad it really was.

dont call it an 'opportuntity it is very offensive to most balkans people.

Do you know there were Devshirme day celebrations when the it occured, the people wanted to give their children to the system, even Muslim families wanted to allow their kids to join and later many did.
 sources?

Greeks and Jews had historic issues, mainly boiling down to religion, events like Easter often and still are in some areas called "Burn the Jew Day". There were cases of Blood Libels against Jews by Christians in the Ottoman Empire were the Ottoman forces intervined and put an end to this problem..
are you insuiting greeks as anti-semites?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 04:37
there is not unique Turkish culture. I am from blacksea, and I have not much connection with an eagean Turk. Our songs, foods, dances, traditions are totallly different.

Both eagean and black sea culture is different than mediterrian or inner anatolia culture.

eastern anatolia culture is different than all.

So Turkish culture is langauge, becoming turk and religion. None of them is effected from bizantine.

We can say some part of turkish people effected from bizantine(eagean, blacksea.), but all Turks were not effected from bizantine.

By the way, Infact we can also ask what is byzanine culture, If I am not wrong, greeks from eagean, blacksea or athens have different traditions too.

Of course the turkish empire was a continuity of Byzanthium, thats why it kept the balkans undeveloped and in feudalism for other 4 centuries.

That is not totally true, ottomans generally used local people for ruling their lands. So ruling elite(so feudalism) at newly conquered lands dont changed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>