Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'That' UK-US relationship..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Online Status: Offline
  Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'That' UK-US relationship..
    Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 15:09
It is more like a man-dog relationship, or master-slave relationship.
Churchillian relationship was one bourne out of foresight, that evisioned the need of and dependence on the new hyper power.

owed an incalculable debt to the British for the time when they stood steadfast and virtually alone against the scourge of Hitler.

Yes a debt paid back by creating the dollar zone.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 13:09

I thought this might be a good time to have another look at the so-called special-relationship between the United States and Great Britain.

The Times newspaper (dated Thursday November 30th 2006) led with a cover story concerning the present condition of Anglo-American relations, in particular the current state of play about the ongoing conflict in Iraq.

..The report was presented by Tom Baldwin in Washington and The Times political editor Philip Webster, under the headline Londons bridge is falling down. The report once again brings into question the nature of an Anglo-American special relationship.

The premise of the article was chiefly concerned with the one-sided political relationship between Britain and the United States, demonstrated by the supposed affiliation between British Prime Minister, Tony Blair and the American president George Bush. This one-sidedness has recently been highlighted by a speech made last Tuesday by Dr Kendall Myers, a senior US State Department official. In an academic forum, Myers noted that Britains role as a bridge between America and Europe was currently disintegrating and any attempts made by Britain to influence US policy had been, and are being ignored. Concerning Britains role in standing by the Unites States and American anti-terrorist policy, Myers said it was a done deal from the beginning, it was a one-sided relationship that was entered into with open eyesthere was nothing. There was no payback, no sense of reciprocity. Dr Myers noted that any bond that Blair and Bush had would not be replicated in the future

...The US State Department has since disowned the comments by Myers, stating, The US-UK relationship is indeed a special one. The US and the UK work together, along with our allies in Europe and across the world, on every issue imaginable

My first thoughts are that they would of course deny Myers sentiments on the understanding that US officials would never ever set a precedent and say that political relations with Britain are floundering and unbalanced, even if they are.in addition, the notion of Britain being a bridge between Europe and America can be called into question since the Soviet Union ceased to be a viable threat to Western Europe, consequently, removing Britains role as Americas first line of defence against Communist expansion.

. For me personally, the idea of a UK-US special-relationship has always been one of contention. If there ever was a specialness in the relationship between the United States and Britain, then I think it only had real substance during World War II, where the romanticism of this association was first borneven then, the co-operation between the US and Britain always came with American strings attached. The special relationship tag only seems to be trotted out on occasion when needed to re-enforce the public notion of a strong affiliation between the two countries. In political circles, I would tend to agree with Dr Myers. On an individual level, I think the UK-US bond might be an idea that is cherished. For example, during the Vietnam War, Prime Minster Harold Wilson refused consistently to entertain the Churchillian philosophy of an Anglo-American affiliation, (chiefly, to avoid sending British troops to the war in south-east Asia). However, in a conversation with the British Ambassador to the United States, President Lyndon Johnson reminded Patrick Dean that the American people owed an incalculable debt to the British for the time when they stood steadfast and virtually alone against the scourge of Hitler. (Lyndon Baines Johnson, The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969 (New York, 1971) p.316.). Nevertheless, despite this and perhaps many more examples, I think self-interest is simply and obviously at the heart of all national politics, and any alluding to special-relationships only serves for that period in time

for those interested, here is an online link to the article in full...

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 01-Dec-2006 at 09:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12